The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By thechroniclesofmasi
  • 1 Post By theboz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 06:48 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Englewood, Lemon Bay and Manasota Key

I will be over on a short visit to Florida next week staying in Englewood to cover the World's Richest Tarpon Tournament at Boca Grande on the afternoons of the 23/24th but note some great snook fishing is available from the Manasota Key beaches. Might have to give that a try in the mornings! I'm supposed to be getting a guide for the 25/26th to check out the Charlotte Harbour area too.

Can anyone give me any good hints and tips for locations and fly choices for the beaches? Thanks.

Looking forward to some sun and warmth!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 AM

thechroniclesofmasi is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Englewood, Lemon Bay and Manasota Key

I lived down there for a while (1.5hrs from where I have lived all my life.) and most all of the beaches are private. What that means is just be out there a little before sun rise and you will have the place to your self.

I throw patterns that are lightly weighted and white and black with a little silver. #2 - 2/0 will do just fine. Try and use 15lb fluro if the water is clear. (it always is) but you may need to go up on the tippet based on the size fish that are working the beach.

The biggest key in beach fishing in my state is to walk on the highest point of the beach so that you can see 1. far and 2. dont spook any fish, the next tip would be to cover as much ground as possible. You will see people all day walking the waters edge and catch nothing. At certain times I will be 100 feet / 30 meters from the water when fish spotting. Do not get happy because a spot looks good. If you cant see the fish then keep moving.

Some mornings you wont see a fish. The next you wont have more than a minute in between fish.

Enjoy!
Editor and waterfordcreek like this.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:51 AM
Editor

Editor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the roughEditor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Englewood, Lemon Bay and Manasota Key

Good tips - many thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 11:18 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

If your covering the tournament there is a double bridge in the back bay of Boca Grande pass. The bridge and beach that surround the area are Snook invested . Early and late in the day with the tides at either flood or almost dead low is the key to this area.
Oh and enjoy the zoo,
I mean tournament!
Editor likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-21-2013, 08:11 AM
Editor

Great info thanks. I will check that out on the map and try to head over for a look.

I hear you on the 'zoo' comment. Actually that is one reason I was keen to check it out, just for the spectacle of it all.

I am looking forward to finding a quiet corner to myself though and a few fish to catch.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:47 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Probably be some protesters as well as fisherman watching to add to the spectacle! For me I'd rather watch the women's beach volleyball tournament that runs the same time in Ft Meyers!

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

And the fishing in the area is fabulous!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser