The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 01:57 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fishing Clearwater area in late August

Marcel,

Thanks. I can't wait to get down there. I've never been to Florida before, so I'm excited. We will have to both post some pics from our trips.

-VB
Old 06-27-2013, 05:02 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I did some searching on line. Does anyone have any experience with Capt. Wayne Simmons? It looks like he fits the bill as far as the area, experience, and fly fishing.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Fly Fishing Guide Tampa Bay - Home
Old 07-02-2013, 09:41 PM

scoobysteve is on a distinguished road

Ill also be in the Clearwater area(Tampa actually) at the end of August and was curious from the locals what fish will be in the area. Mostly Im looking for tarpon. Just looking for fish above 40 lbs or so, nothing huge. What are the chances of getting into these guys at that time of year. Im looking to get a guide but in my experience different guides can say vastly different things about the same area and some just tell you what you want to hear.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:27 PM

Scoobysteve,

From the reading I've done, it looks like redfish and snook will be prevalent. The tarpon peak season has already passed, but they'll still be around as well. PM me if you want to meet up and fish.

-VB
Old 07-11-2013, 05:55 AM

Marcel has a spectacular aura aboutMarcel has a spectacular aura about

From my exploits I can remember that my fishing differed each year.
Most likely due to temperature and baitfish migrations.

For instance in one year I noticed lots of mullet schools off the beach.
At an inlet I saw monster size Tarpon harrassing the mullet, the mullet virtually exploded in the air.
A year later I did not see any mullet schools or the Tarpon even though it
was the same time frame.

I figured when the temperatures really drop down north the schools of
Spanish mackerel, blue runners, Pompano's andsoforth arrive in the south.
You can then see a lot of freeding frenzies either way off the beach or if
you are lucky close in when you fish the beach.
If it stays warm the Snook will still be patrolling the beaches.

My first Bluefish came from such a time, I could not understand then how something that fought like a Jack Crevalle would be able to sever my 30 lbs
shock tippet.
Off course when I finally landed the Bluefish and saw what it did to the popper I fished I understood.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:10 PM

Marcel,

Did you use a stripping basket when fishing from the beach? I use one out here every time when I fish the surf. It's an invaluable tool when fishing from the beach here. I also noticed guys in the Northeast often use them.

Should I bring mine to Florida?

-VB
Old 07-27-2013, 03:57 PM

Allthough I own a stripping basket I never used one in Florida.
I used my stripping basket only when fishing in the Baltic sea in Denmark
and I did also fishing Rhode Island because the presence of a lot of rocks and seaweed that will entangle your flyline.

As I tend to fish in Florida all day long and mostly on the beach there is not much to get tangled in, its all sand where I fish.
Furthermore the snook I target patrol very very close to the beach so long casts are not neccesary.
The downside is that if you fish on a stone jetty you will get tangled at times
which can be a real pain in the ....
Then again I take that for granted as I fish the beach mostly and do not want to drag that dishwashing pan with me in the tropical heat all day.
Have not seen any of the locals ever with a stripping basket.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:58 PM

I'm here now, and I just hit the beach this morning before sunrise. The baitfish were being relentlessly pursued right up against the shore.

I was introduced to the ladyfish in short order. What a fun, sporty little fish they are. Those things jump and run like crazy. I had some major fun and landed about a dozen in an hour. I had to stop fishing to attend to some business.

I'm hitting the bay tomorrow and Friday with a guide, and can't wait to get into some redfish and snook...maybe even a tarpon.

-VB
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:18 PM

The ladyfish from the beach can be small, in the passes bigger ones can
be had.
Off course even better would be if you would run into some big jacks.
Good luck with the bay fishing.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:45 PM

Today, we saw some huge tarpon rolling early in the morning, but we couldn't hook up with them. We hooked a few catfish instead.

We only saw a couple of redfish (literally 2). The water was very murky and stained and tide conditions were less than ideal. Finding the fish we were looking for became very difficult.

However, we got into some speckled trout and ladyfish later in the day and had a great time with them. Marcel, you're right about the ladyfish. They tend to be bigger out in the bay than on the beach.

We saw lots of interesting marine life, which I always enjoy. Dolphins, sharks, rays, ospreys, and pelicans all made appearances throughout the day.

I had a blast, and the guide was excellent. Today was in the Bay, but tomorrow we're heading out into the Gulf.

I have to confess, I didn't take any photos today. The camera never left the pack, until I decided I wanted a shot of one of the speckled trout. He wiggled out of my hand before I could snap a picture.

However, here are a couple of shots on the beach the other morning.

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com