The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 03:32 AM

Marcel has a spectacular aura aboutMarcel has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fishing Clearwater area in late August

Have you seen any snook patrolling the beach ?
With polarized glasses you might be able to see them even in
murky water.

I noticed a sort of breakwater in one of your pics, I would
try that area for snook.
Normally I walk well up on the beach so I do not spook any
snook, they will hang out right along the shore - like in that
greener water in your last pic.

When you see one coming from a distance you put your fly in
the water before the snook can actually see it and then start
retrieving when the snook is in visual range of the fly.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:28 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fishing Clearwater area in late August

Marcel,

I didn't see any snook patrolling the beach. I was casting into the green (deeper) trough and not wading in the water. I only went to the edge of the water to release the fish I caught. There was a ton of bait fish right in the trough by the surf line. The ladyfish were coming to the edge of the beach and crashing the party with the bait fish. I only had an hour to fish the beach before I had to attend business meetings for the rest of the day, and the only fish I caught or saw were ladyfish. All of your advice and information were very helpful during the trip. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain the particulars of that area.

Thank you.

-VB

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Here are a few pics from the trip. I was able to get in two half-day excursions with a great local guide. I can't say enough about Captain Wayne Simmons. He's an excellent guide, who really knows his stuff.

If you're looking for an excellent guide who specializes in fly fishing the Tampa Bay area, look no further than Fly Fishing Guide Tampa Bay - Home

I only took a few pictures, as I got really focused on the fishing and forgot about photographs. I had a great time. I was amazed at the variety of sea life down there. We saw dolphins, sea turtles, rays, big sharks, and just about everything in between. All that in just two half-days of fishing.

I will definitely go there again.

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Last edited by von behr; 09-02-2013 at 11:41 AM.