The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Southeast U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/southeast-u-s/)
-   -   Lakeland/Orlando/Tampa/Tarpon Springs Area in July???? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/southeast-u-s/321410-lakeland-orlando-tampa-tarpon-springs-area-july.html)

swhite1989 06-05-2013 08:27 AM

Lakeland/Orlando/Tampa/Tarpon Springs Area in July????

Hello, I will be staying in Lakeland, Fl during the first week of July, and I will have the ability to drive to all the areas mentioned in the title. I would be willing to go other places too, those are just the first ones that come to my mind. I am about 90% certain I will be able to take my kayak, so that opens up a lot of possibilities. I am trying to do more salt fishing than fresh water, but if I have the chance to hook into some "Gator Eatin" Large Mouth, I wont turn down the opportunity.

Taking both my 8wt, and my 5wt.

Question 1- What flies are gonna get me some fish?
Question 2- Best time of day, tide, etc?
Question 3- Does anybody want to meet up and help a VA country boy out, and show me the ropes on some saltwater fishing?
Question 4- Long shot but worth a try, does anyone feel like PM'ing me some good spots?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!!

thechroniclesofmasi 06-05-2013 12:54 PM

Re: Lakeland/Orlando/Tampa/Tarpon Springs Area in July????

Is there any thing to catch in December around your parts? I will be there around Christmas, maybe we could trade trips or something? I'll be at massanutten resort.

swhite1989 06-05-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thechroniclesofmasi (Post 562095)
Is there any thing to catch in December around your parts? I will be there around Christmas, maybe we could trade trips or something? I'll be at massanutten resort.

That area has some of the best trout waters in the state actually. I would be more than happy to do something like that. Depending on the mildness and water levels, it could be a very good trip or just a mediocre trip. Be prepared to be stealthy.

waterfordcreek 06-05-2013 03:38 PM

Niiice......

I have fished the waters around Tarpon Springs for over 20 years.

In July.....Mornings and Evenings. You will want a moving tide.

The Anclote Power plant.....large pier at the entrance. Fish the flats to the NW....easy to wade. Redfish and trout.

Ohhhh, and lots of sharks in July.

Same advise for December....when the power plant is running,or discharging warm water, you will find anything from Trout, redfish, snook....

Any of the beaches at first light.

Good luck.

Jim

swhite1989 06-05-2013 04:10 PM

Waterfordcreek, Thanks for the advice!!!! I was talking to a friend today, and he mentioned throwing shrimp patterns, and deceivers. Does that sound right?

waterfordcreek 06-05-2013 04:35 PM

Shrimp in December.....not so much in summer.

Deceivers...are good, any baitfish pattern...i prefer anything white and green. Most of these fish are dialed in to the greenbacks in summer.

Jim

swhite1989 06-06-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterfordcreek (Post 562150)
Shrimp in December.....not so much in summer.

Deceivers...are good, any baitfish pattern...i prefer anything white and green. Most of these fish are dialed in to the greenbacks in summer.

Awesome! I might add Mosquito Lagoon into the mix as well. Any tips?

Thanks!!!!

thechroniclesofmasi 06-06-2013 08:18 PM

Well I will PM you and we can swap info.