The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 02:00 PM

slepe67 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Intro: From Florida Panhandle

Hey all, just learning how to fly fish. The learning curve is steep with me.

For a newbie to fly fishing, I've found that there aren't a lot of folks in my area that fly fish, so I'm forced to learn via internet. Every time I hit "Search", this forum comes up, so I figured it was time to sign up and fire off my intro.

Long story short: grew up in Montana and always wanted to learn, but the old man is a spin fisher (which bores me immensely).

I've been stationed in Florida (east of Pensacola) for 10 years and the fly fishing bug just bit me hard!

Started off with a 9/5 freshwater combo, looking for bass and trout up the streams/creeks of Eglin Range. Then, while kayaking up a stream, ran into 2 gators, 2 weekends straight. I know the gators PROBABLY wont mess with me, but what if they mess with my CATCH? Time for saltwater, I'll do the freshwater stuff in the winter!

Just bought a 9/8 saltwater setup. Tons of saltwater flats around my area, between Destin and Pensacola, so might as well figure it out.

The plan is to do some kayaking, wading and maybe even using a 6 foot ladder.

I'll be in here reading a LOT, and asking (stupid) questions if I can't find answers.

Retiring from the military and moving back to Western Montana in 3 years; so I'll get to learn how to fish THERE when it happens.

Anywho, look forward to learning from everyone in here.

See you around!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:26 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Newbie Intro: From Florida Panhandle

Welcome from E TN. I lived closed to Mickey mouse for a while then moved up to PCB, been back in E TN since '98. I've read the fishing is good there in FL, I played golf and rode motorcycles while I lived there.

LOTS & LOTS of info here, lots of knowledge too, people will help.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum
great group here.
and thank you for your service

casey

ARFE
Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing!
Spend some time browsing the forum and using the search function, then if you can't find answers to your questions, don't hesitate to ask, we have some really talented fly fishermen on this site that are more than willing to help out.
Also take a look at the Orvis Learning Center, lots of stuff there for folks just learning the sport. How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis

Orvis also has a fly fishing podcast by Tom Rosenbaeur, take some time and look through the archives, tons of information there.
Fly Fishing Podcasts | Weekly Fly Fishing Podcast Tips | Orvis Fishing Podcasts | Fly Fishing Tips W

Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio has some pretty interesting episodes, take some time and listen to the ones of interest. I think you have to sign up to listen to the archives, but it is free for a limited time.
Fly Fishing - Internet Radio

Also take a look at YouTube, there are hundreds if not thousands of fly fishing videos there.

Your kayaking encounters with the gators reminded me of a tubing trip we did over by Tyndall AFB when I was in the Air Force. We had about six folks all in tubes floating this small stream, we stopped for lunch at a wide spot in the stream, while eating lunch someone says, "What is that on that log over there?"..........when it started moving we all knew what it was. Made the last half of the float kind of creepy and it was the one and last tubing trip we made in Florida.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:46 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum! It looks like you're getting the best of both worlds...some of the best saltwater fishing in the country is right there in Florida, and Montana is one of the premier fly water locales in the world.

Ask away, and you'll get lots of great information on this forum.

-VB
Old 07-09-2013, 07:50 PM

slepe67 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
... I've read the fishing is good there in FL, I played golf and rode motorcycles while I lived there.

LOTS & LOTS of info here, lots of knowledge too, people will help.
I've lived here for 10 years, never really got into fishing until a few old injuries flared up. Now I have to take it a lot easier. Each tiem I hit Google SEARCH, this forum popped up, so I figured it was time to join and learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
welcome to the forum
great group here.
and thank you for your service

casey
Thanks for your support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Also take a look at the Orvis Learning Center, lots of stuff there for folks just learning the sport.

Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio has some pretty interesting episodes, take some time and listen to the ones of interest. I think you have to sign up to listen to the archives, but it is free for a limited time.
Fly Fishing - Internet Radio

Also take a look at YouTube, there are hundreds if not thousands of fly fishing videos there.

Your kayaking encounters with the gators reminded me of a tubing trip we did over by Tyndall AFB when I was in the Air Force. We had about six folks all in tubes floating this small stream, we stopped for lunch at a wide spot in the stream, while eating lunch someone says, "What is that on that log over there?"..........when it started moving we all knew what it was. Made the last half of the float kind of creepy and it was the one and last tubing trip we made in Florida.
Thanks for the leads! I honestly think if it wasn't for Orvis & LL Beans Intro to Fly Fishing books, and Orvis' incredible website learning center, I definitely would have given up the fly fishing hobby.

I'll look into the podcasts, and regarding YouTube: I feel like I'm long lost friends with Mel Kreiger! Amazing how much I have learned from that man (yet still can't "do")

Agreed on how creeped out a gator can make. 99% of the time they wont mess with you; but with my luck...

Anywho, thanks for the welcome and I'm sure I'll fire off dumb questions as I lie awake in bed, thinking of dumb things to ask!

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
Welcome to the forum! It looks like you're getting the best of both worlds...some of the best saltwater fishing in the country is right there in Florida, and Montana is one of the premier fly water locales in the world.

Ask away, and you'll get lots of great information on this forum.

-VB
I'll say I was very fortunate to grow up where I did; and where I live right now. I'm trying to not take Florida for granted, I'm 400 yards from the beach!