The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By buckslayer50
  • 3 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 08:36 AM

buckslayer50 is on a distinguished road
Default St. Augustine Beginner

Hello all, my name is Garrett and I am born and raised in St. Augustine, Florida. A few years ago when I was around sixteen years old I saw a deal on a fly fishing(9' 8wt Gander Mountain Guide Series I believe) pole combo in gander mountain I couldn't pass up(it turned out to be mispriced but they gave it to me for what was on the sticker), so I bought it because I had always been somewhat interested in learning how to fly fish. Well, turns out I didn't know anyone who fly fished and it's not super popular in my neck of the woods, so it kind of fell by the wayside and I haven't touched the pole in years. Well, I'm 23 now and recently the bug has bitten me hard and I decided I dont need anyone else to do it with me or any relatives/locals to teach me, I am gonna go it on my own and learn from online and good old fashioned practice!

Basically I have been watching a lot of casting technique videos on youtube, practicing casting my gander mountain pole in my yard, and taking my crappy $40 wal mart panfish set to a local pond and trying to practice my casting(which is pretty awful actually, I plan on upgrading my lightweight outfit soon if I continue to progress). I kind of just wanted to know how you guys would suggest getting started and if you knew what bites good in my area on fly. I am going to Marathon for two weeks in August and want to get some serious saltwater practice in while im there, maybe catch some mangrove snapper or something if I am lucky. Thanks for any help you guys give me, I am super excited to start learning and improving over the next few years and hopefully starting a new type of fishing in my family I can pass down to my kids and grandkids.
mridenour likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St. Augustine Beginner

Garrett: Welcome to the forum! I can't help with the local fishing, but I would suggest you stop in at a local fly shop and see about getting an hour or two of casting help. You will be surprised at how a professional can get you headed in the right direction with your casting. Also talk to them about what is available in the area for fly fishermen.

Here are a couple other ideas, take a look at the Orvis Learning Center, it has some great videos for beginners. How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis

Also take a look at the Orvis Fly Fishing Podcasts by Tom Rosenbauer, there is some great information in those podcasts.
The Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast with Tom Rosenbauer

Also take a look at the archives on Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio, there might be some salt water episodes from your neck of the woods. I think you have to join up to listen to the archive episodes but it is free for a limited number of episodes. Also you can do a seach in the archive section, I didn't find anything searching for St Augistine, but searching for Florida turned up eleven different episodes.

Show Archive - Ask About Fly Fishing
imxer, von behr and mridenour like this.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:40 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Garrett,

Welcome to the forum where you already have received sone very good advice from Larry.
Even though you said there isn't much interest in Fly fishing locally, I would recommend you inquire about a local FF club. Results might surprise you and won't cost anything to ask.
Best of luck, it keeps getting better.

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 AM

Thank you very much for the reply and all the useful links! I checked around and I think the closest fly shop is about an hour north in Jacksonville so I will inquire about lessons there. Just for some background, I have saltwater fished my whole life with spinning outfits, and offshore outfits. I know the general fish that are in these waters(redfish, trout, flounder, jacks, etc inshore and snapper, mahi, cobia, kingfish, etc offshore and bream, large mouth bass, and carp in the pond I fish in) so I am gonna look mostly into the best ways to catch these fish. I really wish we had Rainboow Trout around here, but I am planning to get up to North Carolina hopefully in the next year to follow a lifelong dream to get up there and trout fish in the mountains.

I will also say that just practicing with my panfish set up, I have gone out twice to the pond not expecting to catch anything, and while I haven't landed anything, I have gotten multiple bream hits and one huge grass carp hit on my little popper bug. Seeing something grab that bug is about as exciting as fishing gets!
Old 08-30-2013, 03:10 PM

fatdaddy is on a distinguished road

Buckslayer,

I too am from St. Augustine! Went to RB Hunt ! Great to hear you have a flyrod, too bad there is little in the way of educational info for you locally. I too got a rod combo and taught myself. Just keep at it and things will come around. It'll mean a lot more to you if you do it yourself. Only thing I would say is to get a 7 or 8 wt rod so that you can go out to the island or Flagler beach and cast from the shore. Before my family moved I would fish from the shore and from the sand bar. Casting with the wind is tough but do-able. Oh, and get a fly tying vise, saltwater flies are easy to tie but expensive to buy. Also, I fish for panfish with nymphs or wet flies on a slow strip back to me. Cast, count down, strip back. Poppers work great for certain times of the year, but nymphs and streamers are almost year round.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:07 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Buckslayer,

Welcome to the forum. I would definitely head to the shop in Jacksonville, or hire a fly fishing guide in your area for some instruction and one-on-one fishing time. It would be well worth the investment. This looks like a guy who can teach you some techniques: Fly Fishing Jacksonville St. Augustine Florida Rich Santos Fly Fishing Instruction

I spent almost a year trying to figure out the whole fly fishing thing. I was very frustrated, but not ready to give up. I signed up for a one-day class that covered casting, entomology, and a variety of other fly-related topics. The instructor even video recorded the students and showed us where we needed to refine our techniques. That was the best fly fishing investment I've ever made.

Since then, I've become a student of the sport, constantly learning and improving my skills. I'm totally hooked on this fly thing. Sign up for a lesson and go from there. You'll be glad you did.

-VB
Old 09-15-2013, 09:42 AM

flyfish62 is on a distinguished road

Good Morning Garrett,

I just joined the forum and found your post. I hope your learning curve on the fly is proceeding well. I am a member of a fly fishing/teaching organization in New Smyrna Beach, the Mid Coast Fly Fishers. It would be a little bit of a drive for you, about an hour or so, but we meet the second and third Mondays of the month. We have fly casting instuction starting @ 6:00 pm with a speaker on the 2nd and tying instruction on the 3rd. Would be glad to have you come down and help out your casting stroke. We have many local guys here with great expertise in teaching. I think we were just mentioned on the home page of this forum, "Fly Fishing Eases Military Stress".

Tight Lines
Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
Buckslayer,

I too am from St. Augustine! Went to RB Hunt ! Great to hear you have a flyrod, too bad there is little in the way of educational info for you locally. I too got a rod combo and taught myself. Just keep at it and things will come around. It'll mean a lot more to you if you do it yourself. Only thing I would say is to get a 7 or 8 wt rod so that you can go out to the island or Flagler beach and cast from the shore. Before my family moved I would fish from the shore and from the sand bar. Casting with the wind is tough but do-able. Oh, and get a fly tying vise, saltwater flies are easy to tie but expensive to buy. Also, I fish for panfish with nymphs or wet flies on a slow strip back to me. Cast, count down, strip back. Poppers work great for certain times of the year, but nymphs and streamers are almost year round.
Thank you very much, I will definitely take that advice for bream, and getting a setup to tie my own flies! Its always cool to see someone from around here, my grandmother has worked at R.B. Hunt for around thirty years!