The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 11:01 AM

nc ninja is on a distinguished road
Default Rain!!!

New member here. Looking for advice. With all the rain we have been having I see a lot of high, fast water. Do you have any advice on how best to fish these waters?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:19 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rain!!!

First, welcome to the site.

As for high and fast water, fish will usually come closer towards the shore. Do not expect them to be eating on the surface. Try using a nymph rig. If the water is strained, err towards a darker fly that has some flash. The fish will see the silhouette better.

Good luck,

Dennis
mcnerney, fredaevans and yonder like this.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum!

+1 for what Dennis said! Fish the edges.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:13 PM

streamborn_jr77 is on a distinguished road

+2 what they said but dont be scared to swing a streamer too!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

+3 and welcome to the Asylum!

Only thing I'd add to the above, regulations permitting, is a couple of "split shot" about 24" above your fly(s). You want them to get down fast and stay there.

Fred

And send some of that rain to us here in Southern Oregon. Another day at just under 100 degrees. Only good thing is, as the temps go up, our 'humidity' goes (close) to zero.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:06 PM

nc ninja is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick advice! I'd kinda hate to resort to night crawlers and crickets.

As for that rain you want, Fred . . . come and get it. While you're here we'll hit the streams. Apparently we have already had more than our annual allotment of rain for the entire year and with the streams in western NC an hour away, I don't want to get skunked by stocked waters because I don't know the best way to handle it.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Come get the rain, Lord I just wish I could. Our snow pack was at 60-70 percent of normal at best. Come September water flows are going to be 'interesting' when the Salmon runs begin.

But Mom Nature has been dealing with this for several million years; I just hope we can do as well.

fae
Old 07-15-2013, 01:48 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I fished the high water all weekend and heavy nymphs but i done the best fishing with a streamer here in WNC.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:50 PM

fearnofishbob will become famous soon enoughfearnofishbob will become famous soon enough

I usually head to the headwaters when the lower sections become difficult to fish............ here in WNC we are 23" above normal for the year and its only mid July......... we've seen plenty of high waters this year...right Shannon ?
I am 70+ and I don't try to wade high waters ...I'm just not as agile and strong as I used to be........... best-of-luck !! oh and welcome to the forum
Old 07-16-2013, 03:44 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Right Bob we have had some major rain i did fish the big water and it is hard to move around in.