The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Southeast U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/southeast-u-s/)
-   -   Wadeable water in the Outer Banks? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/southeast-u-s/326180-wadeable-water-outer-banks.html)

chi804 07-25-2013 10:36 AM

Wadeable water in the Outer Banks?

So, I'm headed to the OBX in a few days and I want to put my spey rod to good use. My only problem is that can't seem to find out if there are any places to fish down there. I'm looking for shallows and flats where certain species of fish would use as a resting place or staging ground for their migrations.
I feel like casting into the surf will be a lot of wasted energy and was hoping that some of the sounds would provide some opportunities to land some decent fish.
Can anyone help me out? Thanks everyone.

jimw 07-25-2013 01:05 PM

Re: Wadeable water in the Outer Banks?

OBX is a big area which town will you be in???

chi804 07-25-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimw (Post 575939)
OBX is a big area which town will you be in???

Sorry about that. I should've mention that in my post earlier. I'll be in Kitty Hawk. Looking at it on Google earth, it seems to have a bunch of little creeks and streams from the sound. Didn't know if any of that was wadeable. Thanks for pointers.

chi804 07-29-2013 12:49 PM

BUMPITY BUMP -any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

yonder 07-29-2013 02:10 PM

Oregon Inlet on the sound side of the bridge....I have seen lots of fishermen wading a good ways out there in waist high water in search of speckled trout. Stay clear of the channel unless you fish from the land........this is a few miles south of Nags Head......can't miss it.....big bridge!!!:) I have never fished this side of the bridge, because I usually fish the rocky bank of the ocean side for puppy drum..........hope this will help.......

theboz 07-30-2013 12:23 PM

The Outer Banks area has all sorts of wadeable and fishable water. But if you think fishing the surf is a waste you are wrong. If you learn to read the surf and the opportunities it can provide you will catch some great fish. Fish stacking up for migrations happens on a limited basis where as fish feeding on the surf happens on a daily basis!

chi804 07-30-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboz (Post 577483)
The Outer Banks area has all sorts of wadeable and fishable water. But if you think fishing the surf is a waste you are wrong. If you learn to read the surf and the opportunities it can provide you will catch some great fish. Fish stacking up for migrations happens on a limited basis where as fish feeding on the surf happens on a daily basis!

Great! Thanks for the feedback. Anyone have any recommendations of flies? I'll probably tie up some large streamers.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by yonder (Post 577193)
Oregon Inlet on the sound side of the bridge....I have seen lots of fishermen wading a good ways out there in waist high water in search of speckled trout. Stay clear of the channel unless you fish from the land........this is a few miles south of Nags Head......can't miss it.....big bridge!!!:) I have never fished this side of the bridge, because I usually fish the rocky bank of the ocean side for puppy drum..........hope this will help.......

I'll definitely try out as many areas as possible. Thanks for the reply!