The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 11:22 AM

mizzoumo0352 is infamous around these parts
Default Rookie to saltwater. Parris Island

I'm a newbie to salt water. I've fished fresh almost daily for the past 25 years. As for fly fishing I started when I was about 13 but have lost some of my skills since joining the USMC. I'm stationed at parris island SC with is on the Broad River right outside Beaufort SC which I know is one of the top places in the US to saltwater fish. I want to get back into fly fishing here. My question is what are the basics in saltwater fly fishing targeting Redfish and Trout. I'm looking to find a beginner cheep cheep set up. Also what are the flys to use? I don't have a boat so ill probably just be sight fishin for the tailing reds. Any foot spots on PI? Thank y'all very much for any info
Old 08-10-2013, 01:59 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rookie to saltwater. Parris Island

First, thank you for serving our country in the Marine Corp!

Your service is appreciated!

If you've ever done any fly fishing for bass, then some saltwater fly fishing will be similar. I won't make recommendations for specific outfits, as we all cast differently & how a particular rod feels to one person may not be the same to another. The rods I use in the salt are TFO & Redington brands in 8, 9 &/or 10 wt & I have no complaints with either brand. You're budget will certainly affect your choices, but there are many rods on the market that you could try.

You should be ahead of the game some with the fishing experience you already have, and particularly since you've already been fly fishing.

Like with other tackle, no single fly rod (size, length, line rating, etc.) will fit all situations & conditions. IMO, for what you intend, you could use anything from a 6 wt, up to a 10 wt. However, again my opinion, an 8, 9 or 10 wt would be a good choice. There are advantages & disadvantages to each.

If you can locate others in the area who fly fish, that could give you the chance to perhaps cast some different rods & get advise on what others are using.

There are also dozens of flies that will work for Reds & trout. Whatever you select, you want some different hook sizes, perhaps from 4 up to about 2/0, and both weighted & unweighted flies. Weights should vary too. Some should have weed guards as well, especially crab or shrimp patterns.

Basic flies will imitate baitfish, shrimp &/or crabs. Styles such as Clouser Minnows, Lefty's Deceivers & Seaducers are all great general purpose flies. You might also check out patterns by Tim Borski, which are more specific for the type of sight fishing you want to do. There are many other patterns that will work as well. Again, your budget will probably determine what you choose. If you tie flies, so much the better, as you can tailor them to your own preferences. You'll want some that are both light in color, some that are dark, and even some that might be colorful. Colors such as pink & chartreuse are usually good, as are tans, browns & shades of olive. Basic black, & white are always good too.

I did a quick look at Parris Island via Google Earth & looks like you have a lot of places that might be fishable water. I would guess it would depend on access. Check out Youtube for sight fishing to redfish or trout, that should give you some ideas about how to go about it. Like I said, it can be much like bass fishing.

Admittedly, I have yet to catch a Redfish on a fly. I've caught them on bait & on lures, but not a fly. I have caught Black Drum on flies in NC, which I've been told is very similar. Much of the fishing I do for LM bass & Striped Bass is in tidal waters, and is similar also I think. I've caught numerous trout on flies in the past, but my opportunities with Redfish have so far been limited. I have a trip planned to VA next month, and perhaps will remedy my lack of success with fly caught Redfish.

I also searched what is nearby to you as far as fly shops. Looks like there is at least one in your area. Even if you don't purchase your gear there, it won't hurt to go & look at what they have & talk with them. Better shops will freely give good advise. Pay particular attention to flies they may have on display. Such shops will often have the most productive patterns for the area & will usually advise on what is the best approach for using them. It doesn't hurt to purchase a few either to get the best advise!

If you don't tie flies, once you get an outfit, let me know. I'll be more than glad to send you some flies to get you started!( I tied commercially for many years. ) Again, thanks for serving this great country!
yonder likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:13 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Like BigJim.......I would like to thank you for your service and welcome you to the forum......I am not a United States Marine, by any means.....but I have been to a graduation ceremony, and also had a chance to interact with some new graduates on base.......let me tell you.........some fine, outstanding young men and women!!! I agree with BigJim on the TFO and Redington outfits........and all of the rest of his advise........top notch!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-10-2013, 04:29 PM

You are all very welcome! I enjoy it a lot. Just a little info into it. I joined in 06'. Went to school for infantry TOW Gunner. Went to Iraq twice then to Afghanistan once. Then came to PI to be a DI. Now I work in the water survival section. Just a quick background for y'all.
Next thank y'all VERY much for the info. Ill for sure be using it a lot in the near future. I've tried looking up sight fishing on YouTube but could never really get a good answer. Probably just need to word it better. Any tips on the best spots along a skinny creek or river I should be looking for to fish?
Thanks Jim for the flies. Ill for sure let you know when I got the outfit.
Once again thanks for the info. It's gonna help out a lot. Have a good one y'all.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:59 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Also........post in the saltwater fly fishing section.......I live in western N.C......so saltwater flyfishing is not my area..........there are lots of fine gentlemen here who will be more than happy to help.........we don't always check all the topics on a day to day basis......but we are known for our courtesy........and once again...........thank you!!! I learned alot from my daughters boyfriend at the time, about the top hat, the kill hat and so on........going from nike shoes to "boots" and so on.......I was able to follow his transition from "young punk".......to the "Globe and Anchor..."......he was ticked off at times, during his "adjustment period".......but I told him to grow up and be a man.....I wanted to see that Globe and Anchor, and I would expect no less from my daughters boyfriend..........he walked straight up to me on graduation day and showed me what he had earned!! I was so proud.......and still am today....even though they no longer date each other......he is still one of my favorites.....thanks to the United States Marine Corp....

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-10-2013, 05:21 PM

I will post that right now.

As much as we act like we hate them we really don't. It's fun to transition them into not only Marines but also into good people. It really is a great feeling handing them their Eagle, Globe and anchor a week before graduation and then that last week mentoring them (without screaming and making them push And other things.) about life, the Marines and being a good person. It really is something I can't explain. Almost a good as seeing my children come into the world. When did he graduate? Never know could have been one of mine.

Once again thank you very much for the info
Old 08-10-2013, 05:47 PM

Eagle, Globe, and Anchor........my mistake............this was at least six years ago...........I actually got to talk to the "top hat"........and he shared my concerns.....after all this was my daughter........and I got that "father, big brother vibe from him, in the same way that I get it from you........and to let you know......he is a fine father now of a young child......and a fine marine.......he see him every now and then.......and he greets me as Mr.....and with right hand extended.........I treat him and his child as one of my own...........he is still my wife's favorite......and still great friends with my daughter....which says alot about his character, and the United States Marine Corp.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:07 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Any tips on the best spots along a skinny creek or river I should be looking for to fish?
Your best bet is to go & look at the creek at the lowest tide. This should show you any deeper spots, undercut banks, obstructions that may block the current or any type of structure (pilings, old sunken vessels, etc.) that my not be evident when the water level is higher. Sometimes sand or gravel bars, or ledges may also be something that might be there, but only evident at low tide.

The places you want to be looking for are anything that might cause the fish to hold there, such as breaks the current flow or perhaps places that they can use to ambush or herd prey to limit escape.

Also, at higher tides, places where there is vegetation that may flood, or cuts, inlets or ditches that drain into the main stem of the creek or river.

Bends in a river or creek can also be potential spots that will hold fish, depending on how the current flows thru the area. Sometimes on the inside bend there may be a deeper area as the tidal current will keep it washed out while the outside my have a bar & be shallower, because sand & silt will be deposited there. However, the opposite can also be true, again depending on how the current moves thru there.

These are all places to check when fishing.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

I was not in the military. I was graduating high school as US troops were being pulled out of Vietnam, and 2 years later Saigon fell which ended the war. With all the negative reports the media gave about the war, I had little interest in joining the military. However, I've always had the utmost respect for our troops! My one grandfather served during WWI, my father served in Korea and earned 2 bronze stars, my one brother in law, who is a few years older than I served 2 tours in Vietnam, and my middle son served 6 years in the Navy as a Nuke (electrician) on a submarine. My son had intended to make it his career, but injured some disc's in his back & got out on a medical discharge a few years ago. There are times I wished I had joined & perhaps learned something useful, but I've not done too bad anyway.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:50 PM

Yonder it's not a biggie at all. I'm glad he turned out to be a good person, father and Marine. Thanks for your help again.

Bigjim. Thanks for the info. I think I know where some undercuts on banks might be. Ill check them out tomorrow and let ya know. Actually got a couple bends in mind now too. Thanks for the advice.
So if you were graduating as Vietnam was end that makes you 24 maybe 25 right? Hahaha just pullin your leg. Glad to get advice from a fishing veteran. I got lots of respect for what your family did too.

Once again thank y'all very much for the info. Looking foward to getting a new fly fishing outfit (which will be this week). Until then I'm gonna take the new knowledge I've got from y'all and see what I can't do with some light tackle tell then. Thanks!!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
So if you were graduating as Vietnam was end that makes you 24 maybe 25 right?
Funny!

I'm at least that old!

I have kids older than that & have been married longer than that!

Boy, it would be nice to be able to go back to that age, knowing then what I know now!

Let us know how you do with the fishing!