The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 11:37 AM

jur1st is on a distinguished road
Default Key West After Labor Day

I'll be taking a vacation with my wife in Key West in a few weeks and am hoping to get at least a day of fishing in while I'm there. This would be my first time fly fishing in salt water, but I've got some experience that I hope will help.

I've got a heavier rig that I used for Pike in northern Manitoba years ago that I'm planning on taking with me. Since I'm in KC I should be able to get everything refreshed at Cabelas or K&K before taking off. Here are the limitations:

- While we're driving down from Miami, we're going to ditch the car after the first day. Staying in a condo on the Atlantic side.
- My heavy rig isn't a pack rod, but I do have a lighter pack rod. The pack rod is much more suited for bass, bluegill and trout so casting big streamers or poppers is likely out of the question.
- I've looked around at some guides online but they look a little high. I definitely know you can get what you pay for (with the right guy) but as this isn't primarily a fishing trip and my wife is relatively new I don't know whether a $600 day in a boat with one n00b trying to sling for giant tarpon is much more than a recipe for a tetanus shot and divorce.

So with that, what knowledge to you all have about expectations, patterns, spots and guide recommendations?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:24 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Key West After Labor Day

Actually $600 is cheap for KW! Without a guide it can be tough for the big stuff! With that being said there are tons of smaller fish that can be had with your lighter setup in multiple places in and around KW . All depends on what your looking to achieve. Mangrove Snappers, Sharks, Cuda, Yellowtail Snappers and even Bonefish are all a possibility when wading in this area or even fishing the shoreline.Again without transportation this can be tough as well!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-16-2013, 03:23 PM

jur1st is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Actually $600 is cheap for KW! Without a guide it can be tough for the big stuff! With that being said there are tons of smaller fish that can be had with your lighter setup in multiple places in and around KW . All depends on what your looking to achieve. Mangrove Snappers, Sharks, Cuda, Yellowtail Snappers and even Bonefish are all a possibility when wading in this area or even fishing the shoreline.Again without transportation this can be tough as well!
My needs are meager as a good day fishing is better than a day at work. And if I can lug tackle boxes through the Manitoba gunch to get to a portage lake with one of a kind Northern Pike hybrids I should be able to get around that little island.

What do you think? Hit up one of the local shops when I get there to get a map, some flies and some tips on spots?
Old 08-16-2013, 03:56 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Haha! It my look little on the map but that's alot of walking to get from spot to spot depending on your starting off point! You can go to a fly shop but you will pay premium prices for flys. If you have Clousers and Baitfish Patterns they will work. Any small weighted fly with Crystal Flash or Flashabou will get you action. The Atlantic side works well for action where as the Gulf side you hunt. Good Luck one of my favorite destinations! If you catch something you want cooked take it to Dantes Restaurant they do it up right! And while your there check out the 150 lb Poons at the dock!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-17-2013, 07:48 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

And if this is your first time visiting KW, do not miss Mallory Dock at sunset.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:30 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Be sure to check out Michael McCloud at the Schooner Wharf Bar......around noon..........lots of big tarpon hanging around the boardwalk.......but no fishing!!!

You could rent a bike and check out the White Street Pier at Higgs Beach, or go up to the rock jetties at Smather's Beach......also, the concrete wall up by the airport.......lots of shallow water and grass all around..........good luck and enjoy KW!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

Last edited by yonder; 08-19-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:55 AM

navezgane will become famous soon enough

You can rent a kayak from several places in the lower keys. Check out Geiger marina. There are nice mangrove channels and flats around the area and the motor boat traffic will be far less than around key west.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:59 AM

bobbrown is on a distinguished road

I spend 2 months a year fly fishing KW so know it well. It's tough to do wading. It's even tough to do in a kayak. That being said...you might get lucky and find some smaller fun fish. If your staying on the Atlantic side you might try the salt ponds there for baby tarpon....might find some. I'll be heading down Oct 1 for a month of permit hunting...if your there the first week PM me and your welcome to come along for the day.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 PM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about

i am spending the first week in sept in Marathon Fl, which is about an hour north of KW. i booked a guide (recommened by a forum member) for $550 a day. i had searched around for other guides and this seemed to be my best deal. this is going to be my first time salt water fly fishing, with what the guide and others on here have informed this:
expections- expect the wind to be a blowing all the time, gotta know how to cast with the wind.
patterns- clousers, bait fish, and seaducers in various colors and size, usually 2/0. crab patterns also
guide recommendations - PM me and i can send you the people that were mentioned to me
best of luck on your trip !