The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 09:36 AM

flyfishingaddict is on a distinguished road
Default Delayed Harvest Fishing in NC

I've hit a different DH stream the last 3 weeks. The fishing was pretty good. The flies the fish wanted were softhackles red and a natural color. I caught fish on other patterns too but these by far worked the best.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:39 PM

diamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Delayed Harvest Fishing in NC

I recognize at least one of those spots. The DH streams are excellent fisheries, but way too crowded. It looks like you had a good time, though.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
I recognize at least one of those spots. The DH streams are excellent fisheries, but way too crowded. It looks like you had a good time, though.
They are but at least they bring some money into the poor economies where some of them are located. It's good to help out a local business while you're in town.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Beautiful pictures, there may be some real dandies in the spring. The one brook trout was looking ready to spawn, do they reproduce in those streams? Fall spawner's might just have the nests survive as well as the fry.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 PM

diamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Beautiful pictures, there may be some real dandies in the spring. The one brook trout was looking ready to spawn, do they reproduce in those streams? Fall spawner's might just have the nests survive as well as the fry.

Ard
The NC delayed harvest program works by vastly overstocking streams that get too warm to sustain trout during the summer. I'm pretty sure they use sterile fish as well, but I'm not certain.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If you folks have a lot of delayed harvest waters you may enjoy this; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-involved.html

That will link you to a forum blog about my other life long ago in a far off land called Pennsylvania. I took an interest in the concept and that of our fly fish only streams too. The blog is full of stuff like that

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-20-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
The NC delayed harvest program works by vastly overstocking streams that get too warm to sustain trout during the summer. I'm pretty sure they use sterile fish as well, but I'm not certain.
The fish are sterile. They sometimes hold over to the next year but they cannot reproduce. The water gets to lethal temperatures for trout in the summer. Combine that with the delayed harvest season ending and people using whatever they want to catch them, I doubt few survive.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:54 PM

rustydog32 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishingaddict View Post
The fish are sterile. They sometimes hold over to the next year but they cannot reproduce. The water gets to lethal temperatures for trout in the summer. Combine that with the delayed harvest season ending and people using whatever they want to catch them, I doubt few survive.

Not sure where you folks have been fishing but in all actuality DH streams put a huge impact on local wild fish. A majority of these vastly overstocked streams are in the spawning grounds for the wild fish in the river. Why do you all think during spring and fall fishing with eggs can produce 100 fish days? In the majority of these fisheries water temps NEVER! reach lethal levels. Take the upper nantahala, snowbird, and fires creek for example. In these three streams alone all the water temps are sustainable to hold fish year round. The tuckasegeee water temps allows it to hold trout year round as well but it cannot support a heavy concentration of fish. Mills river is another one that can hold trout year round. I understand the purpose of DH streams but they really do hurt the wild population of trout.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydog32 View Post
Not sure where you folks have been fishing but in all actuality DH streams put a huge impact on local wild fish. A majority of these vastly overstocked streams are in the spawning grounds for the wild fish in the river. Why do you all think during spring and fall fishing with eggs can produce 100 fish days? In the majority of these fisheries water temps NEVER! reach lethal levels. Take the upper nantahala, snowbird, and fires creek for example. In these three streams alone all the water temps are sustainable to hold fish year round. The tuckasegeee water temps allows it to hold trout year round as well but it cannot support a heavy concentration of fish. Mills river is another one that can hold trout year round. I understand the purpose of DH streams but they really do hurt the wild population of trout.
I concur, I have fished some of the DH streams and have caught both wild and stockers. Pretty easy to tell which is which…the wild ones are cleaner & vivid in appearance. Plus they are in a range of sizes. I suppose some of the streams don't have decent water quality in summer but I refuse to believe that Snowbird does not.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:05 PM

rustydog32 is on a distinguished road

I have fished many of these streams since I was a kid and all of them held fish before they were designated DH and they still hold fish above and below the DH sections so do the math. I see two positive sides to it the tourism and it keeps a lot of meathunter locals so busy trying to poach these fish that they don't wander to my secret spots.