The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jimmie
  • 2 Post By stimulator2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 04:23 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Smokey Fly Selection

I live in Florida but want to fish Smokey Mt. NP. Every year I have a work assignment in May so I can go in April or the first week of June. Which is the better time? Also, what 3-4 dry flies and 2-3 nymphs would be a good selection to carry? Hook size and color help appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Smokey Fly Selection

One of the guys that used to tie with us swore by one fly for the Smokeys. He fished there often. He would say every size and variation of the Tellico Nymph.
buddhist_palm likes this.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:53 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Adams &/or Mr Rapidan
Neversink Caddis
Green Weenie
Pink Barbie
Old 12-06-2013, 02:18 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

The first week in June would be best.

Drys
Neversink Caddis- Yellow. #16
PA- Olive and Grey #14-18
Stimulators- orange-yellow #16
BWO- #18 If in April
Yellow stoneflies- #16-18
Sulfur- 16-18
Possible Green drakes in May...10-12

Nymphs- Only if nobody is watching.....
Tellico
Green and tan caddis puppa
BHPT
Copper johns
Prince

Dont forget some SJ worms...greenie weenie(pink-green)

That should cover you.

If the flow is up or blown out....dont forget some streamers.

My boxes are 800 miles away..... It wouldnt hurt to have some March Browns...Quills...light Cahills. Springtime in the Smokies-- I might carry 30 or so patterns.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:08 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Drys- Orange and Yellow Stimulators #12 #14 #16
Elk Hare Caddis #12 #14 #16
Wulff patterns
Pink Lady
Yellow Sally

Nymphs- Hares Ear #12#14
BHPT #12 #14
Prince #12 #14
Stonefly #8 #10
diamond rush and yonder like this.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:28 AM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

You should contact Rob Fightmaster at fightmasterflyfishing.com. 1) Go fishing with him! He is one of the most genuine hard working guides you will fish with. Lunch is always great! 2) Buy his hatch guide. He has put together a little pocket hatch guide that is awesome for the Smokies.

-Forrest
Old 12-09-2013, 12:31 PM

rustydog32 is on a distinguished road

I would suggest going with a guide the first day and just telling them what your goals are. This would save you bumbling around the first few days of the trip and have you dialed in on day 1. As mentioned above Rob is a good guide and on the North Carolina side I would suggest going with Fly Fishing the Smokies. If you enjoy the touristy side of things I would stay on the Tennessee side. If you are looking to get away from the hustle and bustle but still be close to some great dining and things to do I would suggest staying in bryson city on the NC side. The NC side is my favorite and has exceptional fishing in and out of the park. The TN side is good as well I just feel the opportunities are a little more limited and the fishing is more pressured as a result. As for the time of year I would suggest anything in June.