The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mysticm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Nantahala Confused

I've been reading up on this famous river and have decided that on my next smoky mt trip I'll spend one day over on the Nantahala. I've never seen this river and although I've read about it I am still confused. It sounds like it is a normal river from the mountains down to Lake Nantahala. Some areas are private. From Lake Nantahala there is only a small amount of water below the dam down to the power house. At the power house a pipeline from Nantahala Lake dumps a lot of water into the river- making it a large stream BUT that is also where the tubers put in and from that point all the way down to Bryson City (8 miles) the river is covered with tubers.
Is the 8 miles from the power house to Bryson City the part of the Nantahala that made it a famous trout stream? What about upstream. Are there any good spots with public access from the powerhouse to the dam? As I understand what I've read, upstream from Nanatahala Lake the stream is choked with trees and fly casting is difficult.
For JUNE. What would be a good strategy?
1. Fish below the powerhouse from dawn until the tubers show up? Then....
a. Move upstream of the powerhouse and fish.
b. Go elsewhere,Deep Creek, Snowbird, etc.
c. Stay where you are but look for back eddys, etc that tubers avoid (if there are any)
2. I want to spend a day at Nolan, a day at Deep Creek, etc. If rain keeps the tubers away- I am thinking maybe be flexible and do the Nan on a rainy day?
3. I will be there mid-week. Am I worrying about nothing if there mid-week during the middle of June?
4. Somewhere I think I read I can fish the Nan at night, just fish it then?
Thanks for any help.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:28 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nantahala Confused

I suggest you do this:

1. Fish below the powerhouse from dawn until the tubers show up? Then....
a. Move upstream of the powerhouse and fish.

If you want to fish below the powerhouse, make sure you understand the release schedules (water rises fast). Better yet, hire a guide and float this section. There are some huge Browns in this portion but getting to them is another matter altogether.

Above the powerhouse it is public water except for a small stretch (evident from the fence).

Will behoove you to visit the NC DNR site…you will be surprised at the amount of information they provide. The Nanty is a DH stream and the DNR tries their best to disseminate enough information to entice visiting anglers.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:19 AM

rustydog32 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nantahala Confused

Sent you a PM I grew up on the NANA.