The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 04:32 PM

jtliving is on a distinguished road
Default Re: February in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
If you have time do fish the trail There is a lot of light weight fun to be had there. You pull off at the bridges and bank fish. The Port of the Islands spillway, halfway between Naples and Everglades is a must fish, and the canals running along the roads into Everglades and the Baron River are also great. Go ten miles East and you hit Joni's Blue Crab, a great dive bar from the 1940's in Ochoppee. In Everglades hit City Seafood, an open air joint on the Baronn River which has the best fried grouper and cheapest stone crabs around. Feel free to PM me.
I will definitely make time for that trail and no doubt the establishments mentioned as well. My big box store has a good reputation for returns so I should be OK there too. Many thanks. It's really nice to have places to go to instead of trying to discover it all on my own.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:58 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtliving View Post
I will definitely make time for that trail and no doubt the establishments mentioned as well. My big box store has a good reputation for returns so I should be OK there too. Many thanks. It's really nice to have places to go to instead of trying to discover it all on my own.
Ask on the board before sending that rod back. Mine is just one opinion, and I'll warn you I tend to be biased towards lighter tackle. I only get out the heavy stuff if I have to. There are some very experienced folks here. I'd post a query in the general discussion section. See what folks think.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:05 PM

Good idea. Let's see what they say...
Old 01-29-2014, 05:10 PM

patlo is on a distinguished road

Bring your 3 wt the bluegill and fishing for exotics like oscars is great They are also great eating Not as glamourse as tarpon or snook but fun PatLO
Old 01-31-2014, 05:27 PM

THanks for the tip. I'm collecting gear now. I found a neat hard sided rod and reel travel case and a canvas duffle bag big enough to put it in but still within the airline baggage limits. So far so good!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:33 PM

boogeyklat is on a distinguished road

FQ,

I will also be down there the last week of Feb on Marco island. I only have a 5 and 9wt. I am also bringing spinning gear with me. I was curious if you thought taking a kayak out at the everglades is a must or can you do a lot on foot? IS there anywhere closer to Marco Island that I should not miss. I am staying on the west side of the island near the Marco River. I tried to pm you but I don't think they are going through bc it says I have no sent message..