The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By diamond rush
  • 1 Post By diamond rush
  • 2 Post By tanis103
  • 1 Post By diamond rush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 11:35 AM

tanis103 is on a distinguished road
Default Lost Cove Creek, North Carolina

Has anyone fished Lost Cove Creek, NC? Five of us are going camping and fishing in two weeks and was wondering what flies to bring. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:16 PM

andrew_rigsby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lost Cove Creek, North Carolina

I have never fished there, but the link below is a site that has always given me good advice for fly patterns that work, especially on streams I am not familiar with. Take a look and hope this helps.

Fly Fishing Lost Cove Creek North Carolina
Old 04-14-2014, 08:07 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Fly pattern doesn't matter too much on that stream, but make sure you have heavy nymphs that can get down under boulders. I find a good combination is a heavy buggy pattern with a small midge nymph trailer.

Sometimes they do get picky for March Browns this time of year, so carry a couple of those in size 10-14.

Also, check your PMs

---------- Post added at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

Some tips specific to LCC:

Look for actively feeding browns in the tails of the pools. There are lots of big flat shallow pools on that stream, and the big boys will be in the tails of them, not up in the heads of the pools. You won't see too many rises, but dries will work to pick up the browns. When you come up to a nice pool, spend a couple minutes just watching, looking for actively feeding fish. You'll usually only get one shot (at most!) at them per hole. I can't stress this point enough. Most people go straight to the head of the pool, and never even see these fish, but I guarantee you there's a nice brown in every big pool on that stream.

Anywhere the stream pushes up against a big boulder, it'll create an undercut under that boulder. Those will be your most productive places for the rainbows. They hang out in packs, so if you pick up one, keep working that boulder.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:31 PM

Thanks guys.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:10 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Got a trip report for us?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:27 PM

Here is a small report,
I did ok, one 8" rainbow first day and 9" brown on the 2nd day. One guy got 14 and the other got 18 total. Biggest fish was a 11" brown, these guys r use to small streams. Dries and nymphs were both good. I caught the rainbow on a UV frenchie and the brown was caught on a light Cahill dry. The best part there was nobody around. I was to fast at times, the fish r spooky easily.
mcnerney and diamond rush like this.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:51 PM

Not bad. Those trout are very tough to catch up there. An 11" brown (heck, even a 9" brown) is a very respectable fish up there. That trail is absolutely gorgeous and I hope you had a good time camping as well. If my SO wasn't dragging me to 3 weddings in the next 6 weeks, I'd be up there soon myself. Oh well, at least wedding number 2 is at a resort on the Natahala.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:01 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
Not bad. Those trout are very tough to catch up there. An 11" brown (heck, even a 9" brown) is a very respectable fish up there. That trail is absolutely gorgeous and I hope you had a good time camping as well. If my SO wasn't dragging me to 3 weddings in the next 6 weeks, I'd be up there soon myself. Oh well, at least wedding number 2 is at a resort on the Natahala.
I think I would hide the rod(s) in the trunk, and then "get lost" during the reception.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I think I would hide the rod(s) in the trunk, and then "get lost" during the reception.
My SO is in the wedding, so I'm already planning on ditching the day of the rehearsal and the morning before the wedding. She said I can't take the groom with me, though.
littledavid123 likes this.