The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By plecain
  • 1 Post By andrew_rigsby
  • 1 Post By andrew_rigsby
  • 2 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 06:37 AM

kcheek is on a distinguished road
Default How do you pack your rod when hiking blue lines?

The 2014 Feb/Mar and Apr/May issue of Southern Trout Magazine has a two part series on Blue Lining - Create a Trout Command Center that discusses using information from the web to create custom Google Earth databases to help locate and scout blue line streams.

My questions is for those that do hike the out of the way streams, how do you pack/carry your rods? In the Apr/May issue one of the suggestions is to find the good looking streams that do not have a trail running along side. That makes sense, but I've found that hiking even the DH streams in North Carolina my rod gets tangled in the brush quite often. Carying my rod backwards, tip pointing behind me, seems to help some. Just curious if anyone has any tips or tricks you use that helps with this.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How do you pack your rod when hiking blue lines?

I fish a lot of very small streams in the mountains.

No secrets, really. I have found that carrying the rod facing backwards doesn't work at all for me. It's always getting snagged on something.

I carry the rod, broken down, facing forward. It becomes my pathfinder. I point it where I want to go in the brush and follow it through. You have to think more than a few feet ahead, but this works for me.

Since Hurricane Irene in 2011, some of the woods in NH and Maine are just about impassable. The only way in or out is along the stream. Even that is tough going in some places. I usually fish those streams in both directions.

I'm going to try putting the rod in a tube across my back to see how that works. A 4-piece 7'6" rod is only 23 inches long. Unfortunately, my 6' rod is a 2-piece, so that probably won't work.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:30 PM

andrew_rigsby is on a distinguished road

One thing I did, and if you are really interested in actually seeing this I can post some photos later. I have a sling pack that has a flat bottom, so on the bottom I sewed on two velcro strips. When going anywhere I just put my four piece rod in the two velcro strips and it hangs comfortably under my bag and on my back out of the way. Its a really cheap and easy way to hike a rod in without catching alot of tree trout on the way!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:20 PM

kcheek is on a distinguished road

I had thought about somehow strapping my case to my back. I too have a 4 piece that breaks down pretty small.

Seems like there are a lot of people using sling packs. Like better than a vest? (not to change the subject)
Old 04-17-2014, 08:19 AM

andrew_rigsby is on a distinguished road

I used a vest for years and loved it. A buddy of mine got a sling pack, long story short I ended up carrying it half the day and fell in love. Way better than a vest, especially if you get a small one. It really minimizes what you take on the river and eliminates and inconvenience of having it in front of you. Ill never go back lol
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:29 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Really interesting thread as 99% of my fishing is with spey rods. Lighter the 'bush' the more likely the rods tips forward. The heavier and they'll trail tip back. Ya-ya the line can get 'hung up' but if you're walking 'slow,' at my age you are .. .. no harm when you feel the tug.

Just wish that 'tug' was a fish. Dog looks at you with a 'You really are a numb-nut aren't you?'
mcnerney and milt spawn like this.