The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2014, 08:36 PM

flycaster99 is on a distinguished road
Default Tarpon in mid Mar 2015 : Keys or Everglades?

Hi,

I may have a chance to spend 4 days in Florida in mid Mar to fulfill my bucket list of getting a fair size Tarpon on fly. I know Mar is early for the migratory fish but that is the only time slot available for me for a spectrum of reasons.

Can anyone advise if I would stand a better chance in the Everglades or the Keys? (Islamorada or Ket West)? It will be best if I can get a good size migratory fish but I would not mind a "bigger" baby Tarpon neither if Mar is too early for the migration.

My 2 previous Tarpon trips did not worked out. I encountered 30-40 knots wind over 4 days in Belize, and then went to the Everglades only to coincide with a massive cold front.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:03 AM

swampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tarpon in mid Mar 2015 : Keys or Everglades?

Tarpon are there in March but obviously not in the numbers as during the migration. I have a buddy that is a guide out of Marathon and he is very dialed in. I've seen Tarpon every time I've done a trip with him although we pretty much just chase Permit. We got a tarpon in the 60lb range last March out of Marathon but he fishes all over the keys. Shoot me a PM if you want to get in touch with him. Even if you don't book with him he could give you no BS answers on your best bet to get into one and if it's not likely to happen he would say that as well.

I hear you on the weather conditions. A group of us just did a trip in Southern Belize and we had horrible conditions for five straight days. It crushes your soul after all the logistics to get down there.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:01 PM

flycaster99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
Tarpon are there in March but obviously not in the numbers as during the migration. I have a buddy that is a guide out of Marathon and he is very dialed in. I've seen Tarpon every time I've done a trip with him although we pretty much just chase Permit. We got a tarpon in the 60lb range last March out of Marathon but he fishes all over the keys. Shoot me a PM if you want to get in touch with him. Even if you don't book with him he could give you no BS answers on your best bet to get into one and if it's not likely to happen he would say that as well.

I hear you on the weather conditions. A group of us just did a trip in Southern Belize and we had horrible conditions for five straight days. It crushes your soul after all the logistics to get down there.
Thanks Swampdonkey, PM coming your way. Best Regards.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:18 PM

whipray is on a distinguished road

The everglades is where I fish at least a couple of times a week, and there should b some tarpon around in march,key west would not b a bad choice either. The tarpon have been fairly consistent in the glades this year due to the warm weather but as u know some cold fronts could still blow in and send them back offshore for a couple days even in late march. Reply here or send me a pm when ur headed down and I can give u an updated report.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:17 AM

erik333 is on a distinguished road

I fished with Capt. Greg Poland (Islamorada) a few months ago and we talked about this. He said anytime between Valentines Day and late June is ideal but I think he said that if he had to pick a week for me to come back for tarpon, it would be near the time frame you're talking about.

I would stay in the keys. the boat ride up to the Everglades is not long and pretty standard for the flats guides.
Give Greg a try - his flats skiff has an amazing casting platform on the bow with a 4-sided net for your stripped fly line. really nice set up.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:48 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

I have a quick question while I have a bunch of FLA Tarpon guys handy, is a 909 suitable for Tarpon down there ? I would like to try to get back into it next season ? I have an old Trident TL mid 7.0 I got for NE stripers....
I know very little about salt outside of that ...
Old 01-25-2015, 04:36 PM

labradorguy is a glorious beacon of lightlabradorguy is a glorious beacon of lightlabradorguy is a glorious beacon of lightlabradorguy is a glorious beacon of lightlabradorguy is a glorious beacon of lightlabradorguy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
I have a quick question while I have a bunch of FLA Tarpon guys handy, is a 909 suitable for Tarpon down there ? I would like to try to get back into it next season ? I have an old Trident TL mid 7.0 I got for NE stripers....
I know very little about salt outside of that ...
A 9wt is a good all-arounder for the Keys. It will work okay for a bonefish rod, makes a good rod for the hubcaps, and you can catch juvie poons on it. I've caught a lot of them on my 9. It's not too hard to catch the "locals" who are always hanging out by the marinas, docks and canals, but if you hook into one of the bruisers that start showing up later, you are going to be in a world of hurt with that little 9wt...
eastfly66 likes this.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 01-25-2015, 05:03 PM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

I imagine a fast rod is preferred ? or something with a little flex like my steelhead rod ? 11- 12 wt ?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:19 PM

labradorguy is a glorious beacon of lightlabradorguy is a glorious beacon of lightlabradorguy is a glorious beacon of lightlabradorguy is a glorious beacon of lightlabradorguy is a glorious beacon of lightlabradorguy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
I imagine a fast rod is preferred ? or something with a little flex like my steelhead rod ? 11- 12 wt ?

Fast is always preferred. Yeah, 11 or 12 and LOTS of backing. Think of a spring p o o n as a steelhead that's 10x the normal size AND taking steroids.
eastfly66 likes this.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 01-25-2015, 05:21 PM

I pity the poor Capt. Guide that gets me as a client , I have no idea what I am getting into