The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 09:15 PM

mrfdfly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ashville NC advice for weekend of March 18th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkirshner View Post
Please post after your trip and let us know where you went and how it was. I am looking for somewhere not too far from South Florida for a quick two- or three-day trip.
The South Mills is one of my top 3 favorite fisheries in Pisgah area. I live in Mills River and the South Mills has record low flows for this time of year. It is going to be tough fishing but there is some decent stretches that will be more fishable below Bradley Creek. Best to go in on Turkey Pen Gap Rd, and take the trail to the river. Best fishing I have had the last couple months was downstream of the walking bridge where this trail leads. Bradley Creek is about a mile downstream.
flyminded likes this.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:55 PM

mjkirshner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfdfly View Post
The South Mills is one of my top 3 favorite fisheries in Pisgah area. I live in Mills River and the South Mills has record low flows for this time of year. It is going to be tough fishing but there is some decent stretches that will be more fishable below Bradley Creek. Best to go in on Turkey Pen Gap Rd, and take the trail to the river. Best fishing I have had the last couple months was downstream of the walking bridge where this trail leads. Bradley Creek is about a mile downstream.
Cool. Asheville/Mills River area is one of the spots I had targeted, as it seems relatively accessible from airports. To be very honest, of course I would love to catch fish, but I am mostly interested in finding a nice scenic place to get away from work for a few days, and I don't want a lot of hassle to get there. Where are the closest places to stay in that area?
Old 03-16-2017, 02:48 PM

jayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Cool. Asheville/Mills River area is one of the spots I had targeted, as it seems relatively accessible from airports. To be very honest, of course I would love to catch fish, but I am mostly interested in finding a nice scenic place to get away from work for a few days, and I don't want a lot of hassle to get there. Where are the closest places to stay in that area?

Even if you stay in Asheville, it's not a long drive at all to those areas to fish.

Brevard and Pisgah Forest are probably the closest, Hendersonville is not far behind. Around the Asheville airport is somewhat close, but there are some not great places to stay there.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:58 PM

mrfdfly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There are several options. In the summer months the Davidson River Campground and Mills River Campground are popular and right at great fishing streams. You can also backpack camp all throughout pisgah. That would be a great time to go to the South Mills River. There are middle of the road motels at the Asheville airport and in Brevard. Brevard and Pisgah Forest have vacation cabin rentals spread all over. Most are not on a stream but would be a short drive to most places. If you want a luxury suite or stay at places like the Biltmore Estate or Grove Park Inn or many high end hotels that will be in the Asheville area which would be around 20-30 minutes from Mills River and about 40 to Pisgah Forest/ Brevard.

I hope this helps you out with some choices for you

Colt
Old 03-17-2017, 07:49 AM

diamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to beholddiamond rush is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If you're bringing your SO, I'd recommend: https://www.vrbo.com/932995

We just got back from staying there. It has a spa-grade wood-fired sauna and hot tub. 5 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Loved it.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:41 PM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road

We just got back from Asheville this evening. What a great trip all the way around! Managed to convince the wife to fish 2 half days - Friday afternoon on the North Mills and Sunday morning on Curtis Creek. Had a blast and we each caught multiple fish on both streams. But, I had to take it slow and easy on both streams (wife is 6 months pregnant) so i really feel like i only saw a fraction of what each stream has to offer. I will look forward to my next visit.

Both streams are beautiful and worth a visit if you are in the area but I would be willing to bet they both get cleaned out by the meat fishermen pretty quickly because they are both easy access and well known. Fortunately, both were stocked about 2 weeks ago and are delayed harvest until summer so there were fish in both streams if you found the right holes (my recollection is that both streams are also stocked multiple times in the next few months). I could be wrong but I wouldn't expect to catch fish on either stream too long after stocking is finished unless you are prepared to do a ton of walking. All but one fish we caught (a 3-inch rainbow) were obvious stockers. I would love to see these small vulnerable streams designated as catch and release all year long. I was also a little disappointed the fish were not more spread out...and frankly, based on the stocking numbers I read, I suspect there is some poaching going on already because the fish did not seem to be as abundant as I would have expected from the stocking report. For example, we walked probably 500 yards and passed at least 4 likely holes before we found a single fish on Curtis Creek. But, we did eventually find at least 3 holes with fish in them even with limited walking and, when we did find fish, they were eager to take a wet fly.

If anyone wants more details about where we fished or what we used, feel free to PM me. I will say that one of the really nice parts of fishing these creeks is that you can catch a variety of stocked fish....both size and species. The wife and I caught probably 15-20 fish between us over both days and we each caught brookies, browns and rainbows. My wife's 15" rainbow was the biggest of the trip, but my 13" brown made my Friday. That is a nice change from some of the stocked streams I usually fish that have nothing but 8-12 inch long rainbows. I also want to plug Hunter and Banks fly shop. I've stopped in there both times I fished Ashville and both times they were friendly and happy to sell me a hot fly and refer me to good fishing. I'll post a few pics later this week but in the mean time, here is a link to a 1-minute clip of the wife fighting a little brookie with impressive skill for someone who just held a fly rod for the second time ever this weekend: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j-qqevG-nrs

Thanks for all the forum suggestions and messages that helped make this a good trip!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:25 AM

flyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to behold

Water levels are approaching historical lows, and delayed harvest doesn't seem to apply to a number of people that fish in those parts. Sounds like you found a couple of good deeper spots holding fish .....and your wife is a keeper, fishing at 6 months pregnant.

Hopefully you enjoyed some of the breweries and good eats in Asheville.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:16 AM

jayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to beholdjayr is a splendid one to behold

Glad you had a good trip.

The state of NC has a great way to find all kinds of water, DH, wild, etc.

https://ncpaws.org/wrcmapbook/FishingAreas.aspx

Also, as far as accommodations, I use either TripAdvisor or Booking.com. You can find all kinds of places, from economical to pricey and with TripAdvisor you can also find local places to eat.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:13 AM

hokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant futurehokiehunter07 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty mcfly View Post
I'll post a few pics later this week but in the mean time, here is a link to a 1-minute clip of the wife fighting a little brookie with impressive skill for someone who just held a fly rod for the second time ever this weekend: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j-qqevG-nrs

Thanks for all the forum suggestions and messages that helped make this a good trip!
Ha for a minute there I thought you're wife was wet wading in a black bikini bottom. I was thinking, "Man this guy has his pregnant wife in the water without waders..."

Ha. Nice fish.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:45 PM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road

I thought I took more pictures than this. Ohh well, to complete my report, here is the proof to backup the story.

Wife's first trout on a fly rod (and also her first trout ever....and first anything on a fly rod). Took a little hare's ear nymph:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

She learns quickly. This is the 15" rainbow from day 2:
Click the image to open in full size.

Here is my 13" brown (got him on a purple crystal bugger on the swing):

Beautiful streams but they need water!

flytie09 and brook rookie like this.