The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:28 AM

marshalld is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Rodding Miami Peacock Bass and a Bonus Fish!

It's no doubt that Capt. Mark Hall ( Florida Peacock Bass Fly Fishing Guide ) is the man when we're wanting some light flyrod Peacock Bass action. For my friend Dave Teper ( Saltwater Fly Fishing Videos Florida Keys Fly Fishing Tarpon Permit Bonefish Guided Keys Flats Fishing ) and me it's a 2-hour ride from Naples to Miami's Coconut Grove area and just after the full moon, the bass are bedding and aggressive...perfect.

We met Capt. Mark at a public park landing at 12 noon with mostly sunny skies and little wind. Mark's boat is a flats skiff with a remote-controlled trolling motor, excellent for this type of fly fishing. The game is simple, but terrific fun. Six-weight rod, floating line, 7-foot leader, 12-lb. tippet. The fly is a Clouser (Mark learned to tie from Bob Clouser himself) lead eyes, orange and olive bucktail with 2 strands of K-Flash along the sides. The technique is the same as for all Florida gamefish flats boat fishing ...but miniturized. That is, the angler stands in the bow with Capt. Mark directly behind him. Mark spots fish along the bank of the narrow canals, positions the boat with the trolling motor so you can cast, and you often roll cast the Clouser directly on the head of the Peacock Bass. The fish are so aggressive, they will often charge the fly immediately. Other fish might have to be tempted severl times, but they won't spook or give up chasing.

Once hooked, the Peacock Bass are very strong for their size. And, they are gorgeously colored, each with it's own unique markings in orange and yellow.

Dave and I traded positions all afternoon and couldn't have been happier to have had such great fly fishing when Capt. Mark jumped everything up a notch. He asked me if I'd ever caught a Grass Carp on a fly. Of course, I said "No, but I'd like to try".

Grass Carp are periodically introduced into Florida waters by the fisheries service because they eat grass. The Carp are said to be sterile, but often reach weights in the high teens. To think I could catch one on a fly was pumping me up. A DRY FLY? Yes, Capt. Mark positioned the boat near a Ficus Tree overhanging the canal. Every minute or so a berry would fall plop into the water and sure enough, the Carp would eat the berry just like a Trout taking a dun. Mark picked out a fly from boxfull of red deer hair berry flies, tied it on my leader and said, "Go ahead, plop the fly on the head of that Grass Carp in the shade."

The take was just what you think it would be....it's a berry, so the fish rises, opens his mouth takes it in, and turns down. The fight is what you'd expect from a Carp, it's a hard-headed battle of downward surges until the fish tires....but they are very strong.

Add Capt. Mark Hall to your list if you're planning on driving down near Miami. I guarentee you'll have a ball and...a berry, berry good time!
Old 04-27-2008, 02:15 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Fly Rodding Miami Peacock Bass and a Bonus Fish!

Nice article Marshall. I've forward it to my Dad in Key Largo. This is definitely some fishing he would be interested in. Maybe he can set something for when I come down on the 22nd of May for my spring trip.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-27-2008, 05:03 PM

thanks davo,

I really think your Dad will have a good time with Mark Hall. He's a good teacher and is genuine about his respect for and interest in the fishery.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:44 AM

Lubina is on a distinguished road

Thanks Marshalld for the info.
Following your recommendations, I fished with Mark on Labor Day weekend and I also have an excellent time with him, even the weather made him cut my trips short. Great guy and a very good teacher.
This was my first organized fly fishing trip since I'm new to this world and I can't wait to go back to Miami to fish with Mark.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:19 AM

Good to know you had a good time with Mark, Lubina. I'm looking forward to fishing with him again myself this coming March-April when the Peacocks bed up.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:18 PM

Lubina is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalld View Post
Good to know you had a good time with Mark, Lubina. I'm looking forward to fishing with him again myself this coming March-April when the Peacocks bed up.
I was informed by Mark Hall that Peacocks spawn all yeaur around.....90% of the fish I hooked were on beds ( 16, 2 pounders ). It was fantastic and I'm a newby. Fly fishing for me forever.
Best luck.