The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 10:21 PM

HTiger is on a distinguished road
Default Georgia questions

I lived in Atlanta in the early 90's and enjoyed day-trips north to the Georgia streams fishing for trout. I'm planning a return trip and want to know how things have changed.

Searching the 'net and magazine ads it is clear that lodges with their own sections of rivers and guide services have grown since I was there last. And some of those are quite pricey and target the corporate retreat business. (One is $300 per day for fishing, $150 per night to sleep, and $150 per day for a guide if you're a "newbie"). That's not the sort of money I want to spend to take my boys for a couple of days fly fishing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do people fish the same rivers and streams where the pricey lodges are located--just up- or down-stream from them (no, I don't want to encroach on their business)? Any thoughts of where the fishin' is good (I don't care much about monster fish; just having a good time) and the cabins are reasonable?

Thanks a bunch for any thoughts or advice!

And this our life, exempt from public haunt,
Finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks,
Sermons in stones, and good in everything.

- Shakespeare
Old 05-01-2008, 06:53 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Georgia questions

you may want to look into water levels. I have a sister who lives in Rome and has been telling me how low the water is there. The smaller streams might not be affected by the lack of water you guys had, but it may be a bad trip finding a fine stream that has no water in it. (unless thing have improved in the last few months)
Old 05-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi HTiger,

MrEsox has given you some very good advice. Georgia is in a severe drought and you may find trout fishing very poor. Here is a link to the Georgia DNR. They have a bunch of information that will help you out.

Frank
Old 05-25-2008, 11:51 AM

todd r is on a distinguished road

I'm from upstate sc and fish the chattooga every week. It is on the sc/ga border and can be fished with either lisc. It is fishing really well and is all public land. I don't know much about the ga side but I know there are cabins at oconee state park about 15 or 20 min away in sc. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Todd
Old 05-26-2008, 12:43 PM

HTiger is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Todd -- excellent infomation!

Last Friday I met a gentleman at The Fish Hawk in Atlanta who lives up that way. So your post was perfect timing as I am looking into a trip to the Chatooga to maybe meet up with him for a day or two of fishing. I'll look into the cabins you mentioned at Oconee.

I'll PM if I have any spceific questions. Thanks again!

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd r View Post
I'm from upstate sc and fish the chattooga every week. It is on the sc/ga border and can be fished with either lisc. It is fishing really well and is all public land. I don't know much about the ga side but I know there are cabins at oconee state park about 15 or 20 min away in sc. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Todd

And this our life, exempt from public haunt,
Finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks,
Sermons in stones, and good in everything.

- Shakespeare
Old 05-26-2008, 09:19 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

HTiger: The State of Georgia puts out a trout stream booklet that marks year round and seasonal waters. That $300.00/day outfit, it's private water and it's called Brigadoon, some really monster trout I've been told.