The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 09:45 AM

Capt Chris M is on a distinguished road
Default Orlando Florida Report 10/31/08

This week we experienced record cold temperatures in Central Florida. Water temperatures in Mosquito Lagoon plummeted 15 degrees. Fortunately, the fish did not seem to mind the cold as much as I did and were feeding happily throughout the day. Water levels have been fluctuating over the last two weeks with the best days of fishing coming on the days with the lowest water.

On the 17th, Capt. Ron Presley and I teamed up on Mosquito Lagoon hoping to get the last few photos needed for his upcoming book. We started off throwing topwater and withing a few minutes, Capt. Ron landed a redfish and I followed with a nice trout. We had a few more blowups before the action died. With the sun up, we went in search of black drum. We each caught a few with Ron landing a nice fish around 20 pounds.

Click the image to open in full size.

We ended the day fishing some deeper water along the edge of flat. Trout and large ladyfish were keeping us entertained when suddenly the water began to erupt into a white froth. Hundreds of jack crevalle we attacking the schools of mullet. After catching a few, I got out the 5wt flyrod and we set up ahead of the fast moving school. On my first cast my fly was grabbed the instant it touched the water and the fish took off. After the fly line smoked my finger for several seconds the hook pulled out. On my next attempt, the hook stayed and the jack offered a great fight on the light tackle.

Last Tuesday, A large trout on topwater, a black drum on fly, and a handful of redfish on four inch DOA CALs were willing to cooperate. Arkansas Glow was the most productive color.

The following day, Dave from Washington state joined me hoping to fly fish the Mosquito Lagoon. The wind was a bit too much for Dave to overcome with the flyrod but he had consistent shots at redfish throughout the day with spinning gear.

This Monday, I fished the Lagoon ahead of the cold front. The water was high and the fish were spread out. A large seatrout was willing to eat an olive clauser minnow fly and DOA Cals in Arkansas Glow and Stark Naked were willingly eaten by several redfish.

Yesterday, Steve from Tennessee had a great day of fly fishing. We decided on a late start to avoid the 40 degree morning temperatures. We began seeing redfish immediately. Using a bendback fly, Steve landed redfish on 27 and 29 inches and had several more bites and quite a few follows.

Despite a steady breeze throughout the day, Steve stuck with the fly and was able to hook two black drum on an olive clauser landing one.

Fortunately, temperatures are predicted to return to normal for the next two weeks. If the water levels continue to drop, the fishing will get even better. Big trout are beginning to appear in shallow sand holes with more frequency and the redfish are starting to school. With clean water and sunny skies, the sight fishing will be outstanding.

Capt. Chris Myers
Central Florida Sight Fishing Charters
Mosquito Lagoon Fishing Guide-Orlando Fishing Guide-Central Florida Fishing Guide -Light Tackle Charters in the Mosquito Lagoon and Indian River
Old 11-01-2008, 05:45 AM
christer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Orlando Florida Report 10/31/08

Nice pics Chris!
Makes me wanna go with the next flight, unfortunately I have to renovate half the house before my wife lets me out again.

But we are planning a trip to Florida next autumn to visit rerelatives in Lakeland.

What time do you consider the best for inshore flyfishing in your area?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:19 AM

Capt Chris M is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Orlando Florida Report 10/31/08

The fishing is excellent year round. The redfish never leave the Lagoon. Winter is great for schools and tailing fish but has more days of wind and unstale weather. I personally like June, July, August, September with mostly slick calm mornings and Temps in the 90's. Winter and spring are better for big trout on the flats. Summer and fall have more variety such as tarpon, jacks, etc.