The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 08:43 PM
kahuna is on a distinguished road
Default Where to fish in Georgia?

My father-in-law recently moved from Northern California to Atlanta. He is a life-long fly fisherman and he actually introduced me to fly fishing 20 years ago. At the age of 84 and with a bum knee he thought his fishing days were done. But he got a new knee and feels up to the fishing assuming the terrain is not to rigorous. Since he is new to Georgia he has no idea where to fish. I would like to arrange a fishing trip for him and myself and possibly one of his old fishing buddies. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about fly fishing in GA and I am looking for input on fishing resorts/lodges with the following criteria - 1. reasonably priced (I have located a couple that are quite expensive), 2. relatively easy access to some waters (my father-in-law is not up to long walks, rocky entries and steep inclines), 3. within a couple hours drive of Atlanta. He's now 86 and feeling surprisingly good. I'd like to get him out of a river if possible.

If anyone can suggest few places that we might consider it would really appreciate it.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to fish in Georgia?

Kahuna

Lambster is a member of this forum and he is a fly fishing guide in Georgia.
Send him a PM and ask some questions. He is a real nice person and even if your dad is too far from his location he will be able to steer you in the right direction. Here is his web site. www.GeorgiaFlyGuide.com

Larry
Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

If you want to catch stripers try this guy About Henry - Henry Cowen
Old 03-09-2009, 08:30 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

If I may and if it is allowed, I suggest you make friends on this site:
North Georgia Trout Online - NGTO
They're a very good group of folks. They put on 'fish-in's' a couple times a year that are great fun. They also are big at the FFF S/E council conclave usually held at Callaway Gardens every year (and I hear again this year, though word is slim on that right now)
Old 03-09-2009, 09:46 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about

You may want to consider a float trip on the Chattahoochee (about 20 minutes north of Atlanta). I took my family (wife, 7 year old son and myself) with a River Through Atlanta guide (see their website) the day after Thanksgiving. We all had a great time, and we all caught some nice fish. Wife and son fished from the boat, and I waded and fished from the boat. My son caught (cast, hooked and landed) a 15 inch Rainbow.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:41 AM
kahuna is on a distinguished road

I appreciate all the great advice, web resources and connections to people in the know. I'll begin exploring.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:27 AM

james is on a distinguished road

my two favorites for quick fishing are tamen park in blueridge (trout).
and sloppy floyd state park (panfish).
if you have a boat the lower etowah is superb bass fishing.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great thing you're doing. I'm sure he'll have a blast getting out there whatever you decide. You've got great advice from all above. Have a great trip, and we'd love to hear a report.

mark