The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default my freelance trip to florida's suncoast

i've gotta say that a couple of things i learned from my recent trip to the tampa bay/clearwater area of florida:

1. the charter guides didn't strike me as very professional...as a group. there's a lot of "not as advertised" when you get beyond the websites and down to the nitty gritty. most don't even answer the phone, return calls, or respond to on-line inquiries. that tells me they are using their license and minimal advertising as a tax deduction to reduce the cost of their hobby.

2. the amateur fly anglers down there are an awesome bunch who are exceptionally tourist-friendly! they hang out on one particular website that shall remain nameless here out of respect for this site. but i tried to get info here and there, and got next to zero here. i quickly lined up 6 buddy trips and got 3 offers to fish free with charter guides, got all the fly recommendations and other "how to" info i asked for, and even got a lot of "where to" info from those fellas...complete with maps, detailed directions, etc. in some cases.

3. the clearwater and sarasota areas are certainly not destination fly fishing quality. but they are in the "if you're here you can get in some fishing" category. most of the saltwater fishing there is off-shore vs flats and beach fishing. and that seems to make sense to me. the forage is thick enough, but the game fish just aren't there. word on the street and in the literature was that commercial fishing and recreational boat traffic has pretty much hammered the flats and beaches there.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 05-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my freelance trip to florida's suncoast

Ken: It sounds like you had a great trip after doing lots of research on the area. Post some photos if you have any of your trip, we would like to see the area.

Larry
Old 05-19-2009, 05:18 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

i'll be putting a bunch of stuff on my blog over the next week or 2. it was a great trip. didn't catch a boat load of fish, but this was first foray into the salty side of fly fishing and i learned a lot in a totally different fly fishing culture and environment. that was a blast! the "vacationy" part of the vacation was good, too (meaning non-fishing part). i'll also be reviewing some products i field tested on the trip.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Old 05-19-2009, 08:53 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about

Ken,

I hope I have better luck. I am taking the family on a quick trip in early June to St. Pete / Tampa. We are going to do some family vacation things (beach, Busch Gardens and etc.), but we also going to fly fish. I have two days booked with a respected local guide; the trips will be splits. In the morning it will just be me fishing for Tarpon (my first time), and in the afternoons is will be the family for Red fish and/or whatever is biting.

At least we will have some fun and eat some good Greek and Latin food.

After I return, I will post the results.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 PM

we caught some fish, but the bite was decidedly off. and the snook just weren't running the beaches north of clearwater the way everyone thought they should be. as for "reputable guides" in the area, there are only a few i would consider knowing what i know now. and i'm quite sure they are excellent. but while i was there, all 3 of them were out of the area.
UPSTREAM, publisher