The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 02:27 PM

Scott Spencer is on a distinguished road
Default Clinch River flies?

Does anyone fish the Clinch River tailwater in TN? If so, any advice on the flies this time of year? I ask because I'm heading up there next Friday morning and fishing the weekend.

I'm taking my kayak to float it as I know a lot of the area is private property and the open areas get heavy local pressure.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clinch River flies?

Scott: If you don't receive any responses to your question, here is a link to a fly shop that fishes that river. http://www.croutfitters.com/index.html
You might give them a call or stop in and pay them a visit. Usually when I stop in and ask a fly shop for their expertise, I buy a few flies from them. Good luck with the fishing, be sure to post back with a trip report and some pictures of the stream if you have a camera.

Larry
Old 08-14-2009, 06:47 PM

Thank you for the link, Larry. I'll get in touch with them and see what they recommend.

Yes, I've got a camera and will definitely put up a report and plenty of photos for everyone!

Scott
Old 08-15-2009, 02:29 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

This time of year it's mostly midge fishing (daytime) unless the Cicada's are going. CR Outfitters (Cal) are definitely the best resource on the river. Expect to fish size 22+ zebra midges, sow bugs, etc.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:38 PM

Burk -

Well, it was a successful first trip to the Clinch a little over a week ago. I wound up catching 14 trout on Saturday (floating in my kayak) fishing a #20 black zebra midge. My largest was a 17" stocker rainbow.

Thanks to all for the advice. By the way, CR Outfitters is shut down and so is the shop.

Here are examples of my catch

Brown

Click the image to open in full size.

Brookie

Rainbow