The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 09:02 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What size tippet and leader should I use to trout fish in the Smokies?

I know this is a bit late, but still good info.

The area road/stream that runs from Gatilburg and PF is called the Spur.

About a year ago the sewage treatment plane in Gburg collapsed and sent over a million gallons of the brown stuff downstream. It has cleaned up a little.

It was an area i fished in the dead cold of winter....for trout.

Closer to P/F and through sevierville..its also a great smallie fishery.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:04 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What size tippet and leader should I use to trout fish in the Smokies?

As an all around "go to" I'd pick a tapered, knotless 9' 5x. I like Rio leaders a lot. A lot of trout books are written for quiet water wereas in the Smokies you'll be wading upstream in riffle or pocket water quite a bit and a small, dark fly can be hard to see in foamy, turbulent water. A #12 Thunderhead or any of the parachutte types with a tuft of white calf hair (or possum) will work. A tan elk hair caddis works great- floats like a cork and easy to see.
In the riffle/pocket areas- try to pick out the main channel and then look for a small chute or slick- about bathtub wide and a couple of bathtubs long and cast to the top of the seam- generally a good place.
BTW- a lot of folks think "possun" is sort of the "hillbilly" alternative to calf hair- not necessarily so; Englishman Frederic Halford- father of the dry fly- was listing it back around 1900 "ish".