The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 01:24 PM

oddball7465 is on a distinguished road
Default What size tippet and leader should I use to trout fish in the Smokies?

I'm wanting to start fly fishing in the Smokey Mountains, but I have no idea what size tippet and leader would be best used here. Any advice?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:27 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: What size tippet and leader should I use to trout fish in the Smokies?

You might have the tail wagging the dog on this one, oddball. First question is: what size flies will you be flinging? That determines leader/tippet answers.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:47 PM

oddball7465 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What size tippet and leader should I use to trout fish in the Smokies?

Mainly #14 with a couple #10
Old 03-25-2011, 03:24 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

9 foot, 3X or 4X will likely work, as I remember fishing the Smokies in grad school (UT Knoxville).
Gary
Old 03-27-2011, 07:33 AM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

GSMNP and the surrounding area are my home waters. Personally, I fish 5x fluorocarbon tippet there and 5x 7.5 foot leaders. The trout in this area are opportunistic feeders as most of our streams are not very productive in regards to insect hatches. It is not technical fishing for the most part.

Most trout in this area are 7-8 inches or less, but there are plenty of larger ones there. I have had my 5x snapped twice there, once by a beastly brown and another time by a beastly rainbow.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:47 AM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

My inlaws live in Morristown TN. I really hope to make it down there for a fishing trip this summer/fall!
-Forrest
Old 03-27-2011, 10:15 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

This really doesn't answer your tippet question, but I had to jump -in with info my friend gave me. He said that he always slayed the trout with Tellico Nymphs in the Smokies. The pattern was developed for the Smokies.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:41 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

The Smokies are my home water as well and i use a 9' leader 4x, 5x,6x depending on how picky the fish and the size and clearity of the water..
Old 06-20-2011, 11:17 PM

notropis is on a distinguished road

I grew up fishing trout in East Tennessee but mainly spent time on the now-flooded Little T. I caught lots of trout on that river. I did get up into the Park and the Tellico area quite a bit and formed a few opinions about gear to use in those waters.

The question was asked about rod length for the Park.

I started with the 9 foot split bamboo fly rod I got for my third birthday. It was great for bluegills on the lakes but seemed to be a little long for the streams. I then tried a six foot rod, a nice little 5 weight Fenwick, and seemed to spend much of my time in trees. I finally started using a 7.5 foot 6 weight that was small enough to be handy but long enough and strong enough to do a lot of roll casting in the tight streams where backcasts are difficult. I would rather have a rod a little bit too long than a little bit too short. Your experience may differ.

edit: I read the OP again and saw that the question was about leader length and not rod length. I use shorter leaders in tight places than I use in large rivers. A six to seven foot leader will catch a lot of fish and make casting easier.

Last edited by notropis; 06-21-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:35 PM

redyote is on a distinguished road

Anyone fish the Little River between PF and Gburg? I'm headed there labor day weekend and never fished it.