The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mysticm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 07:31 PM

possumsniper is on a distinguished road
Question Stream map for the Smoky Mountains?

Well I give up searching. Does anyone have a link to, or know where at online I could possibly find a stream map for the Smoky Mountains? Son and I are wanting to take our yearly trip there this year.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:13 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Stream map for the Smoky Mountains?

Another member and I were talking a few days ago about these National Geographic Waterproof Maps. Here's a link to the area that you want:
NC, KY, TN Series - Trails Illustrated by National Geographic
I don't own one yet but I've looked at one. Really neat.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:38 AM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

The source of the best, most detailed SMNP stream maps I have seen for the fly fisher:

SmokyStreams.com - Detailed River System Drainage Maps

SMNP fishing focused message board, website, and fly shop (where I heard of the above maps and source website):

Little River Outfitters - Fly Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains - Online Catalog
Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 AM

Bamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the rough

The National Geographic map is an excellent source of information.
I am a big fan of the Delorme Topo USA map software, you get topo maps on the entire US on your computer. Topo USA - DeLorme

An excellent online source of information for the NC side, A Guide to Fly Fishing North Carolina mountain trout streams
It has the streams broken down by county and links to Google maps and information.

GJ
Old 01-17-2010, 07:29 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:03 PM

possumsniper is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much all. Sorry it took me so long to get back. Been busy with getting my new prosthetic leg fitted and trying to get back to walking.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:00 AM

luckyduck69 is on a distinguished road

Thought I should contribute something to this since I'm the FNG around here.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21231693/Smokies%20Streams.zip
Old 05-28-2012, 06:29 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Besides the excellent sources others have shared, you can also pick up a free fishing map at any of the Park Visitor Centers as you enter the park. I have fished the park using that map for several years (w/o getting lost). Also they sell an excellent hiking / camping trails map for $1 at the Park Visitor Centers.
luckyduck69 likes this.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:05 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

I think the regular topographical type maps work well- you can get them for about $11 at Nantahla Outdoor Center in Gatlinburg. This shop caters to hikers. You often need a map of hiking trails to get where you want- and all the streams are shown as well.
Put the trout back and eat at the Trout House in Gatlinburg.
One thing I do want to do sometime in the future is have a primitive camp "way back in there" like in the good old days. I wonder if any of the stables would run a packhorse back in there for you- for more "creature comforts".
I also get a kick out of using flies local to the area: yellowhammer wet, tellico nymph, greenie-weenie, thunderhead dry- the thunderhead floats well if you want to use a dry fly in fast water. An elk hair caddis is good and I use a variant- an elk hair emerger -#16- in tan, that is a floating nymph you can see well- and it has worked well.