The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 07:34 PM

jtcannonball is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Rod

Hey I fish a lot in the Southeast TN region with standard spinning/baitcasting reels and rods. I however am sick of the lack of challenge this provides since I have been a avid fisher since childhood. So I'm wanting to pick up fly fishing for trout on the local rivers and I need help with what to get. I want to keep the price of the rod under 350 if possible. Thanks

jtcannonball
Old 02-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fly Rod

Hi jt,

Welcome to the forum, the suggestions will be close on the heels of this welcoming note, trust me on that.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi jt,

Welcome to the forum, the suggestions will be close on the heels of this welcoming note, trust me on that.

Ard
Thanks for the welcome, I can't wait to pull the plug and start casting practice in my backyard before I get out there once its warmer.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

jt,

First, at this point I am figuring you are gonna trout fish. I will take a crack at this by advising you to first shop around both at any fly shops withing driving distance and online. Look at both combo sets and ala cart rods and reels. Once you think you have a few target brands lined up. Look here for opinions on those specific rigs.

Make sense? Some buzz name rods to check are, St Croix, Albright, Orvis, Sage, Loomis, Cabelas, (online) and TFO, that will be a start. Once you zero in on a rod there will be some obvious choices for a reel. Again, that is a good forum question, should I buy a --- or a ---.

Hope that helps a little,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 PM

Yeah I guess, I was just hoping for some ideas to help narrow the road. One shop wants to shove you off into high end gear and the other annoys me b/c the man just won't stop talking so you can never get a question in. Makes for an extremely long stop if you want to go in his place. Are scott decent?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Scott is a great rod. But, you need to cast different flexes/actions. See what is your style. Fast, med. fast, medium, slow. That is why Hardy recommends hitting shops. If nothing else, to cast a few different and find out which you like or should I say what works with you.

I will say for trout, an all around weight is 5 and length....9' or 8 1/2'. This is an all around good rod. Later you will look at lighter or heavier weights as needed.

I will also suggest, a medium fast as it too will be better all around. you will be able to cast bigger/heavier flies and the wind won't be as big of an issue.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcannonball View Post
I want to keep the price of the rod under 350 if possible. Thanks

jtcannonball
Albright is closing out last years models. I just got a $350 Spey rod for $75. Look at albrightflyfish.com . Outstanding deals. They have reels also. Another good one is sierratradingpost.com , who has everything 35 to 70% off on everything. Between the two you could get the rod, reel, line and maybe toss in some flies for under the $350.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:35 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One shop wants to shove you off into high end gear...
Some shops like to push high end gear. You just got to push back that you have a budget that you would like to stay within.

Quote:
...and the other annoys me b/c the man just won't stop talking so you can never get a question in. Makes for an extremely long stop if you want to go in his place.
Ahhhhh... the dreaded talker. There is one in every shop. I work with one who somehow manages to get Christmas Island into the conversation.

Quote:
Are scott decent?
Scott makes great rods. The A3 Series is probably the best selling $300-$400 rod series at the shop. At the last two sportsmen's shows, the 905/4 A3 was the top selling rod. You may want to consider that rod.

Other things to know. Reels are pretty much line holders for 5 weights. You can spend as little or as much as you want. What you get in higher price point reels usually are higher quality drags, bodies and spools machined from barstock aluminum rather than cast aluminum, and nicer finish. Spend some money on quality fly line. It will make learning how to cast easier. Remember this. Rods cast lines. Lines load rods. Both are integral parts in the equation.

MP
Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jt,

Welcome to the forum. You live in a good area for some terrific Trout and Smallmouth fishing. The best is North of you but worth the ride.

If you go to the top of the page and click on the Shopping menu and choose MarketPlace. Take a look at the Sage Flight 9' 5wt that is under your budget. You should also look at the Redington RS4 to save some money or the Redington CPX. All of these rods are within your budget and will work in your area.

Buying from the MarketPlace helps to support NAFFF.

Frank
Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi jt,

Welcome to the forum. You live in a good area for some terrific Trout and Smallmouth fishing. The best is North of you but worth the ride.

If you go to the top of the page and click on the Shopping menu and choose MarketPlace. Take a look at the Sage Flight 9' 5wt that is under your budget. You should also look at the Redington RS4 to save some money or the Redington CPX. All of these rods are within your budget and will work in your area.

Buying from the MarketPlace helps to support NAFFF.

Frank
I will check it out right now, thanks for the advice. I would go out now to look but team USA is about to play at 3 and I don't want to miss the Hockey game. lol. Anyway I will probably go tomorrow morning to look at the shops again and head up to the South Holston Shop as well.