The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Southern U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/southern-u-s/)
-   -   Fishing Requirements in Smoky Mtn Ntn Park (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/southern-u-s/128133-fishing-requirements-smoky-mtn-ntn-park.html)

smoky_hiker 04-19-2011 03:23 PM

Fishing Requirements in Smoky Mtn Ntn Park

Hi All,

My wife and I went down to the SMNP in May 2010 and fell in love with the area; minus the Gatlinburg strip :eek: We are headed down there again in late June 2011 this time with her family. Her family and I are outdoor enthusiasts, we all enjoy fishing. However, most of us have never fly fished.

I know we will need Non-Resident Licenses, but, we are completely a catch and release family. In Illinois they stock trout in some lakes, however, a trout stamp is only required if you plan on keeping the trout you catch. Since you never really know what will strike at the lure. Is it the same in SMNP or is a trout stamp required no matter what?

For those of you that are regulars that fly fish in the Smokys what length rod would you recommend?

mcnerney 04-19-2011 03:38 PM

Re: Fishing Requirements in Smoky Mtn Ntn Park

This might help: Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Fishing (U.S. National Park Service)

Larry

stimulator2 04-26-2011 03:15 PM

Since i live on the North Carolina side of the SNMP . I can tell you that you need no trout stamp just a Tenn. or N.C. fishing licenses.The park has regulations of 5 fish 7" or larger per day per person . On that side of the park there are lots of streams to fish but Little River probably has the biggest fish in it .It runs along the road from Gatlinburg to Cades Cove and can be great fishing.Mid- June should be good with some stonefly patterns.Good luck.

smoky_hiker 04-26-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimulator2 (Post 247183)
I can tell you that you need no trout stamp just a Tenn. or N.C. fishing licenses. [...] but Little River probably has the biggest fish in it. It runs along the road from Gatlinburg to Cades Cove and can be great fishing. Mid- June should be good with some stonefly patterns.Good luck.

I don't plan on keeping any fish I do catch; if I catch :D I'm a strict C & R. I'm just learning about types of flies to use. I'm going to wait to get down there and visit the Little River Fly Shop to buy my flies and to talk with the locals, I will definitely try some stonefly patterns. I stopped in there last year while my wife and I were on our first wedding anniversary. It was kind of over whelming :shocking: you see I'm a baitcast/spinning angler, lots of things looked rather 'alien' :icon_lol: Thanks.

stimulator2 04-27-2011 03:37 PM

Glade i can be of help yellow sally is a good pattern for dries then