The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 03:23 PM

smoky_hiker will become famous soon enough
Default Fishing Requirements in Smoky Mtn Ntn Park

Hi All,

My wife and I went down to the SMNP in May 2010 and fell in love with the area; minus the Gatlinburg strip We are headed down there again in late June 2011 this time with her family. Her family and I are outdoor enthusiasts, we all enjoy fishing. However, most of us have never fly fished.

I know we will need Non-Resident Licenses, but, we are completely a catch and release family. In Illinois they stock trout in some lakes, however, a trout stamp is only required if you plan on keeping the trout you catch. Since you never really know what will strike at the lure. Is it the same in SMNP or is a trout stamp required no matter what?

For those of you that are regulars that fly fish in the Smokys what length rod would you recommend?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing Requirements in Smoky Mtn Ntn Park

This might help: Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Fishing (U.S. National Park Service)

Larry

Old 04-26-2011, 03:15 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Since i live on the North Carolina side of the SNMP . I can tell you that you need no trout stamp just a Tenn. or N.C. fishing licenses.The park has regulations of 5 fish 7" or larger per day per person . On that side of the park there are lots of streams to fish but Little River probably has the biggest fish in it .It runs along the road from Gatlinburg to Cades Cove and can be great fishing.Mid- June should be good with some stonefly patterns.Good luck.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:35 PM

smoky_hiker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimulator2 View Post
I can tell you that you need no trout stamp just a Tenn. or N.C. fishing licenses. [...] but Little River probably has the biggest fish in it. It runs along the road from Gatlinburg to Cades Cove and can be great fishing. Mid- June should be good with some stonefly patterns.Good luck.
I don't plan on keeping any fish I do catch; if I catch I'm a strict C & R. I'm just learning about types of flies to use. I'm going to wait to get down there and visit the Little River Fly Shop to buy my flies and to talk with the locals, I will definitely try some stonefly patterns. I stopped in there last year while my wife and I were on our first wedding anniversary. It was kind of over whelming you see I'm a baitcast/spinning angler, lots of things looked rather 'alien' Thanks.

"In the school of the outdoors there never is a graduation day" - Jim Casada
Old 04-27-2011, 03:37 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Glade i can be of help yellow sally is a good pattern for dries then