The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 10:44 AM

ajaynie37 is on a distinguished road
Default where should i go to fly fish in august?

hello everyone,
i am new to this forum. been fly fishing for a few years now and this august i have a week vacation that i would like to go fly fishing on.

i live in north east ohio, im not afraid to travel and was looking at tennessee or virginia, or west virginia.

i know in august heading south isnt always smart, BUT i was hoping for advice on where would be best.

i dont have a problem with small streams catching 10 inch rainbows and browns, so it doesnt have to be trophy size fish.

where ever i go i dont mind camping or a small motel since i plan to spend most of the time in the water.

if anyone has advice on where i should head its greatly appreciated

thanks everyone

ajaynie
Old 06-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where should i go to fly fish in august?

First off welcome to the forum!
Your a long ways away, but the Rockies have had a tremendous winter snow pack, we are in full spring runoff right now and once it subsides the fishing is going to be awesome in July and August! I'd suggest anywhere in CO, WY, MT or ID.
If your looking for something a little closer, you might think about the Driftless area of WI.

Larry

Old 06-28-2011, 05:43 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

PM sent to you!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 AM

ajaynie37 is on a distinguished road

thank Larry,
glad to be a member of the forum. thanks for the suggestions. that is a bit of a long ways away from me, BUT not out of the question. im looking at 7-10 days to do whatever i want.

if i decide thats the way im gonna head, i will be sure to let you know!!!!

thanks again

amanda
Old 07-30-2011, 09:39 AM

flyaddict is on a distinguished road

Man if your going to TN the South Holston river is right here in Bristol and you have the Watauga right up the road the SOHO is one of the best brown trout fisheries in the east with 20 pounders being caught every year and 8 to 12 pounders being caught fairly regularly. the good thing about the SOHO is you can wade around 80% of the river.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

if you need any more incentive to go to colorado, check this link posted yesterday!

sounds like its fun out there!

Addicted To Vise