The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Weekend in GSMNP 6/25/2011

Well the weekend was ok but fishing was slow but my son,a friend and i caught enough to eat so maybe it was ok. The water was a little high but you really cant tell from the pics cause we have had alot of rain and it rained friday when we got to camp and the water came up along with fishing pressure from some others who had been there for a week made fishing tough.
On the way in.
Click the image to open in full size.
My son.
The mountain laurel in bloom.
Forney Creek.
A couple rainbow we caught no brown.
Click the image to open in full size..
It rain on sunday when we got out to our truck and trailer.. If anyone was wondering a parachute adams saved the weekend .
Old 06-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weekend in GSMNP 6/25/2011

stimulator2: That looks like a great way to get into some remote areas. Thanks for the great trip report and photos despite the bad wx, high water and fishing pressure.

Larry

Old 06-29-2011, 03:36 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Parachute Adams is always a good go to fly when fishing GSMNP.

Thanks for sharing your trip report and photos with us, looks like y'all had a good time.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 PM

smoky_hiker will become famous soon enough

I was in the GSMNP from 6/18-6/25 as well. I hit up Abrams Creek, I believe. Never could set the hook but I was getting quite a few hits. I think I was using a dry fly that was a little too large for the particular fish that were hitting. I think I was throwing a 12 when I should have been throwing a 14 or maybe even a 16. But before I could change out the fly I caught an over hanging limb and lost my only leader I'll get Jim* this fall when I'm down there!

(*Jim the character of the song Yellow Backed Fly by Steven Martin & The Steep Canyon Rangers off Martin's sophomore album Rare Bird Alert)

"In the school of the outdoors there never is a graduation day" - Jim Casada
Old 06-30-2011, 08:59 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Smoky
I have fished Abrams Creek but it been awhile since i been on the Tenn. side of the park and a number 12 should be fine there just might have been one of those days when the flip and play at the fly more than take it, i have seen that alot and sometimes downsizing helps but not always, i like a 14 the best for GSMNP. But the weekend was a #12 parachute Adamson the NC side.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:07 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

Nice, looks like fun. I got back from Hazel yesterday. It was practically blown out and I have never seen Fontana Lake so full. Fishing was pretty slow but I managed some decent numbers, most fish I caught in Sugar Fork, it was easier to wade than Hazel.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:35 PM

smoky_hiker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by possessed View Post
I have never seen Fontana Lake so full.
I was on Fontana Lake also; the morning of the 22nd. My mother & sister-in-law, wife and myself rented a pontoon boat for a half day from the Alarka Dock. I'm glad I brought my gps on the boat with us or I would have never found our way back

We talked a little with the Dock worker, he said they had about 4 inches of rain total from the few days before we got there. He said it raised the lake by about a foot. There was a lot of debris on the lake, a butt load of tree logs and garbage It is a very beautiful lake though.

"In the school of the outdoors there never is a graduation day" - Jim Casada