The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default fly fishing around Gatlinberg area?

thinking of trying to talk the wife into taking a trip next spring to the gatlinberg area. i know there is tons to do there but looking for some areas that have good camping we can take our camper and be close to some good fishing for me as well.
have never been to the smokies and always wanted to go. anyone got any ideas
Old 07-05-2011, 01:10 PM

smoky_hiker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: fly fishing around Gatlinberg area?

My wife and I go down there quite regularly. Tennessee fishing requirements are a little daunting. There is a few camp grounds in and around the Cades Cove & Greenbrier area which is in the Great Smoky Mountain Nation Park (GSMNP).

If you want to fish the Gatlinburg you will need a Gatlinburg fish permit. With the Gatlinburg permit you can ONLY fish in the Gatlinburg city limits. If you want to fish inside the GSMNP you will need a GSMNP permit. The GSMNP permit permits you to fish anywhere inside the park, including North Carolina side of the park but ONLY inside the park.

There is two rivers/creeks and their tributaries you cant fish in TN & NC. In TN you can NOT fish and it is the Lynn Camp Prong and it's tributaries upstream from its junction with Thunderhead Prong. In NC you can NOT fish Bear Creek upstream from its junction with Forney Creek. These two creeks are closed due to the park letting the Brook trout repopulate these areas. Their numbers are down because of the acid rain that falls in and around the Smokies caused by our air pollution The following link may answer some more fishing requirement question you have:
Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Fishing (U.S. National Park Service)

While you are in the area visit the two fly shops that I know of:

The Smoky Mountain Angler (Gatlinburg)
Gatlinburg?s Complete Flyshop and Fishing Guide Service

Little River Outfitters (Townsend)
Little River Outfitters - Fly Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains - Online Catalog

The before mentioned shops sell fishing permit, among other retailers. The GSMNP, themselves, do not sell the fishing permits.

You'll love the The Smokies. Hope this helps.

"In the school of the outdoors there never is a graduation day" - Jim Casada
Old 07-07-2011, 01:09 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

You also could go to Cherokee with your camper in one of those campgrounds and be able to fish in the Cades cove area with in an hour or anyof the other streams in the park Cherokee also offers a permit in fish on the reservation with a flyfishing only section that has large trout in teh river but fishing on either side is good...
Old 08-06-2011, 04:39 PM

redyote is on a distinguished road

I've seen guys fishing the Little River between Gattlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I wonder about the regs there and if they do any good?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:54 AM

lthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the rough

I am going to be fishing GSMNP the first week of Oct. This is a good link for the streams and rivers in GSMNP

Fly Fishing the Great Smoky Mountain National Park Trout Streams

Good Luck!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:21 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Make sure you have Elk Hair Caddis size 12 and 14 and some GRHE nymphs for Oct. in the park.