The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 11:09 AM

takint9 is on a distinguished road
Default Smoky Moutain Fishing Help

Hey guys, I'm not a fly fisherman (not yet anyway). My buddy and I just got into regular fishing (spinner/bait), last year. We really want to get into fly fishing, but we are taking a trip to the smokies in a couple of weeks and don't have time to get the stuff and learn at that same time - so will just take my regular rod. My question is: Can I successfully fish the creeks in the smokies (goshen prong / fishing prong) for trout and anything else with just my regular rod. And if so, what type of lures/bait/spinners do you guys recommend and what technique to use. Any advice will go a long way to making my trip awesome until we get back and I really learn how to fly fish.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:47 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Smoky Moutain Fishing Help

I have fished a bit in that area using a spinning outfit (not a whole lot though). In my experience, the most productive lures there were roostertails/spinners, of the smaller and even smaller varieties. I would say make sure to have the whole spectrum covered, so some of darker colors and some very light. Both black and white are both classically productive, but it wouldn't hurt to have some in-betweens if you can't wrestle up bites. I'm only slightly further than yourself in the progression from spinning outfits to fly fishing, so I'm more than happy to help a fellow new recruit! Here's hoping my advice is actually worth something

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-28-2011, 09:57 AM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

Artificial lures only, no bait, and all lures must be single hook, no treble hooks allowed in the park. Have fun and let us know how you do.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:03 AM

takint9 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know what happened.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Welcome to the forum,

Here's hoping you'll become fly fishermen soon and when you do this will be a good place to bring your questions.

One word on lures for those waters; small. Single hook has been mentioned and if you're fishing for trout to be released you could crimp the barb down on the hook just to be a nice guy. Use a net to get hold of them and stay away from prolonged photo sessions with a fish, this is a tough time of year for them because they have to eat a lot before winter. The less you shock them the sooner they will get back to the business of being fish.

Good luck,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-28-2011, 03:08 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Remember artifical bait single hook only and don't have any treble hooks in your vest.You would do better on flies in this low water we have of hope we get rain then you will do beter. Good luck hope you do well..
Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

It's not ideal, but you could take an ultralight spinning reel with a small to medium bobber and some flies. Just make sure you have about 3 feet of line between the fly and the bobber. Just cast upstream and across and let the fly drift. Aside from that, Mepps makes a 00 and 0 size spinner with a fly attached and I do think those are single hooks....

-Forrest
Old 09-29-2011, 12:07 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

My old friend and author of flyfishing books told me that he used to buy all of the "Telico Nymphs" (a type of fly) in town when fishing the Smokies. Just in case you get to FF.