The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By flytie09
  • 1 Post By only adipose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 12:39 AM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough
Default SOHO for the first time, Any tips?

Anything I need to know about fishing the south holston? Any info about anything even where to eat, fly shops, etc?! Thanks
Old 06-30-2012, 06:17 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: SOHO for the first time, Any tips?

Sulphur fishing this time of year , dry fly fishing best on high water from a boat ck with South Holston Fly shop , Rod can put on the fish, good guide service. If wade fishing check TVA schedule only wade if water off.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 PM

flytie09 will become famous soon enough

What he said/ CDC Sulphurs is the name of the game. When there's no dry activity try pheasant tails, sulphur split cases, and zebra midges (black, white, anything goes - size 18-22).

Terrestrials along high grassy areas - hoppers, beatles, ants.

Be prepared to have company. Me included. It's gotten crazy w/ people but there's so may fish, if you move away from the crowds, there's still fish to be had. Start at the weir damn and work your way down. I think there's 12 miles to the lake.....

The South Holston Fly Shop is a must stop while there. Rod and Matt are good peeps. Tons of techniques, flys and setup help. Full service fly shop and guide service

I wish my name was Rod Champion - Jealous?

Check the water release schedule. If you don't it's nearly impossible to fish on high water. TVA: South Holston.

Be sneaky, use small indicators, and wait for the major hatch. It will happen!!! Fish nymphs in the rapids and hold on. The water is low in spots, but if you move around it's fabulous.

I struggled for a year, but I can say now it's fish on every trip.

Good luck!!

Let me know if you want some company.
only adipose likes this.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:19 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

One of the best guides on the river. Randy has been at it full time since before the river got popular. A true professional.
Troutfishers - East Tennessee Trout & Smallmouth Fly Fishing Guide Service

Here's another nearby shop under new, knowledgeable owners. Nice tying assortment too!
Eastern Fly Outfitters, Johnson City TN

"Be prepared to have company. Me included. It's gotten crazy w/ people"
Being an old phart, I miss the days when fishing spots were given out by word-of-mouth but not before taking a solemn oath to tell no one. Danged internet and digital camera's... I love 'em and I hate 'em! Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 AM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough

Thank you so much for the info. I had a blast. Next time I'm down I'll take you up on that offer, my hotspot internet thing did not work. Fishing was good and you guys are spot on. I missed a fish on a beetle that looked about three feet long. Good times, cant wait to go back but for now I keep moving west to the White river.
flytie09 likes this.