The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 07:25 PM

griff017 is on a distinguished road
Default Which TN tailwater?

Well i am having to go to that tourist trap gatlinburg in the mid of Feb. I thought I would go a day early and hit one of the tailwaters in the east half of the state. i will be fly fishing in the smokies while in gatlinburg. Which tailwater is the best for feb.

sorry for the grammar, typing on a damned tablet.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:06 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Which TN tailwater?

South Holston near Bristol . Several good shops and guides ,South Holston Flyshop, Bristol , ETF in Johnson City, Mahoney's in Johnson City, they all offer guide services.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I agree the South Holston.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Nope. Not the SoHo by any means. Between the rabid dog packs, the tse tse flies, copperheads, shine-crazed, shotgun toting locals who don't like strangers and all the car thefts, it ain't worth it.
Besides, because of the internet everyone who has fished there more than once is a pro at it, bought a drift boat and told every stranger they could about it on the internet so you have to bring your own rock to sit on as all available places to sit are taken unless the squatter has been shot off by locals. There are no fish there anyhow.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:05 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Billyspey is correct.

I am not much of a tailwater guy myself.

Another suggestion would be to fish the WPLR through Gatlinburg. Its C&R...Its infested with timber rattlers in summer...but, you will be good. If i am looking for one for the grill....San Juan worm....Egg pattern(peach).

I tend to fish the park year round. Last winter was very warm.....feburary fished like april......hatches and all.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 PM

joetroutman is on a distinguished road

griff017,
how far do you wanna travel is the real question? if you wanna drive like 30 mins the Holston below Cherokee Dam will be the way to go, if you don't mind traveling like an hour the clinch is good option, but if you don't mind a 2+ hour drive the Watauga or the South Holston are good.

alot also depends on when the tva decides to run the generators. My best advice is post back again right before your trip and keep your mind open but DO NOT forget your midge box
Old 01-03-2013, 11:03 PM

griff017 is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks for the replies guys.

I dont really have a preference on travel. I am just looking for the most productive place for that time of year, if there is such a thing.

My other concern, was how well the tailwaters that havent been stocked in months would fish.

Is this a legitimate concern, or are there hold-overs or does it matter? (I am new to this fishing thing)

Where I fish (Sipsey Fork, AL), if it had not been stocked in 6 months it would be alot harder to fish productively.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

The best fishing is the South Holston ! I can be on The Clinch in 30 min fishing or the Holston but choose to drive 2 hours for quality fishing. If they are generating best time for a float ,no generation you can wade. Don't have that option on any other tailwaters.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff017 View Post
Is this a legitimate concern, or are there hold-overs or does it matter? (I am new to this fishing thing)
Nope, not a legitimate concern. Oh boy are you going to be surprised!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 AM

flytie09 will become famous soon enough

Im going to open up a hotdog stand at weir parking lot this summer theres so many tu clubs comng down there. u know who u r!