The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By billyspey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 07:10 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default The Cumberland Tailwater

I will have opportunities to fish the Cumberland tailwater in the near future. I have read nymphs work well and streamers can also be effective. If you could take 2 rods and 2 types of line to the Cumberland, what would you take?

Do people fish 8&9 weights with big streamers down there since the trout, and occasional striped bass are big? Would a 6 or 7 be enough or would a 9 help with the big streamers? Do you fish sink tips or full sink lines there if wading?

Finally, I have read that wading spots are few. Is wading a realistic expectation?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:05 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Cumberland Tailwater

Access to good wading is hard to come by on the Cumberland you need a boat to get to good wading 4&5 for nymphs 6or7 for streamers. Not as many big fish seen sense the dam work the plan is to stock larger fish during the winter ,the river is in the beginning of a come back may be couple years before it get back. It has been an awesome river in the past. Before dam repair forced low water high temps during summer months lost a lot of quality fish.
cochise likes this.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:49 PM

ckyflyin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Cumberland Tailwater

I run a 5wt and copper johns and slay them