The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 06:50 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Gulf Shores

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
I leave for Gulf Shores Saturday. My buddy was in Fort Walton last week, and a guy on the beach was catching bunches of pompano with sand fleas. So I tied a bunch of thigns that should be sand flea like and plan to use them for the pomps. I also plan to stalk some backwater lagoon/bay areas and see what I can find up there.
Good deal.
Remember, if you're not out there before the sun rises, you're too late! Usually there is plenty of light at least 30 minutes before official sunrise (check the charts).
We'd all enjoy some photos, if you please. I'll be at work all week, wishing I could fish the beach too!
Old 04-27-2014, 07:27 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I've caught plenty of fish after the sun comes up

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-28-2014, 09:18 AM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road

My dad will be going with me also, but doesn't fly cast. I am hoping to get him into it, but doubt he would be wanting to mess with it during vacation. In the case he doesn't what kinds of jigs could I tie for him to use for the same stuff? I have heard pomano jigs work great. Does anyone know how heavy heads guys put on these? I would like to avoid using live bait so we don't have to mess with it, but that could be a last resort for him I guess.

Question again on the steel leader...is the whole leader the steel or do you just use it for the tippet?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:20 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsac09 View Post
My dad will be going with me also, but doesn't fly cast. I am hoping to get him into it, but doubt he would be wanting to mess with it during vacation. In the case he doesn't what kinds of jigs could I tie for him to use for the same stuff? I have heard pomano jigs work great. Does anyone know how heavy heads guys put on these? I would like to avoid using live bait so we don't have to mess with it, but that could be a last resort for him I guess.

Question again on the steel leader...is the whole leader the steel or do you just use it for the tippet?
1. Standard lead heads with rubber tail. I've used both lightweight and heavy. There's no real current on the beach that would affect the jig. The weight is really for long casting. I'm not sure what works best for pompano - changes weekly with the bait. Ask at the local shops.
2. I'd use a silver spoon (Krocodile spoon, for instance) if the jig doesn't work.
3. Tippet.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
1. Standard lead heads with rubber tail. I've used both lightweight and heavy. There's no real current on the beach that would affect the jig. The weight is really for long casting. I'm not sure what works best for pompano - changes weekly with the bait. Ask at the local shops.
2. I'd use a silver spoon (Krocodile spoon, for instance) if the jig doesn't work.
3. Tippet.
What size rod should he take? He pulled out an old salmon rod that I believe is actually glass and is 7'...should that handle about anything? We will probably find a local bait shop, but with not knowing what is down there we want to take as much as possible in case we can't find something...plus we don't want to spend a bunch of time during vacation driving around...that don't catch fish!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:54 AM

spoton will become famous soon enough

You'll be fishing in my backyard. I do a lot of beach fishing. Here is a long post I entered earlier:
Fly fishing in Destin

Some of my buddies that are adicted to beach fishing REFUSE to enter the water until they can see their feet. I'm less shy, but I haven't been run off by sharks as often as them Low light + ladyfish + warm water = sharks.

If you get a paddleboard or other way to get on the water; fishing the lighted docks inside (Terry Cove, Ono Island, Cotton Bayou, Little Lagoon) is great in the summer.

I use weighted flies in the surf (hoping for pomps & reds) and unweighted under the lights. I tend to use Size 2 hooks for the beach and 4 or 6 for the lights. Beach fish are mean!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoton View Post
You'll be fishing in my backyard. I do a lot of beach fishing. Here is a long post I entered earlier:
Fly fishing in Destin

Some of my buddies that are adicted to beach fishing REFUSE to enter the water until they can see their feet. I'm less shy, but I haven't been run off by sharks as often as them Low light + ladyfish + warm water = sharks.

If you get a paddleboard or other way to get on the water; fishing the lighted docks inside (Terry Cove, Ono Island, Cotton Bayou, Little Lagoon) is great in the summer.

I use weighted flies in the surf (hoping for pomps & reds) and unweighted under the lights. I tend to use Size 2 hooks for the beach and 4 or 6 for the lights. Beach fish are mean!
Thanks for the link and info. That really helps! I remember reading an article about using artificial for saltwater fishing and that all makes sense now.

When using the mono leader do you just run it straight? How heavy eyes do you use? I actually landed some nice long shank Mustad size 2's this last weekend that will work perfect for tying some flies for down there. Do you use the same flies for the Reds?

Will I need some shoes to wear while fishing or can I just go barefoot or at least wear some sandles...I guess I could always throw on my wading boots too...
Old 06-10-2014, 10:39 AM

So should i just have my dad buy some lures down there at a local shop or should he order some ahead of time?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:56 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

Interesting tidbit of information for you that will probably have zero effect on your trip is that "they" just closed the beaches at Orange Beach, AL for shark activity. Is it effecting Gulf Shores today? Dunno? I can only imagine that this is a temporary thing and will probably have minimal to no impact on you and pops fishing from the surf. Authorities claim that the sharks have been attracted to fish carcasses being tossed into the Gulf by people. I wonder if a big nasty flesh fly would work? I think sharks have a keen sense of smell so probably not.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgentile View Post
Interesting tidbit of information for you that will probably have zero effect on your trip is that "they" just closed the beaches at Orange Beach, AL for shark activity. Is it effecting Gulf Shores today? Dunno? I can only imagine that this is a temporary thing and will probably have minimal to no impact on you and pops fishing from the surf. Authorities claim that the sharks have been attracted to fish carcasses being tossed into the Gulf by people. I wonder if a big nasty flesh fly would work? I think sharks have a keen sense of smell so probably not.
I actually think the condo is on Orange Beach. If my dad catches wind of this he won't go within 20 feet of the water! Me on the other hand may be chucking a big chunk of bait out there to see if one will take! haha

Make a flesh fly and throw it an tupperware with some anchovies!