Gulf Shores

rjsac09

Reaction score
Planning a trip to be down in Gulf Shores at the end of June with the family. Was wondering what kind of fishing I might be able to get into. We will be staying right on the beach and was curious if there would be any surf fishing opportunity there. I have heard people head to Orange beach inlets to do some fishing too. What kind of fish should I target? Any fly patterns I should get tied? I have a Sage 8100 that I would likely be taking down...is that going to be big enough? Are there any guides down there that target reds in the shallows?

Thanks
Ryan

chechem

Reaction score
I grew up near there, but haven't fished those beaches in 40 years.
Indeed, for best catching you should head to Orange Beach for the inlets or a guide. Ask for help at the tackle shops.
Another productive area is near Fort Morgan, which is the mouth of Mobile Bay. You'll enjoy the old fort between tide changes.
For pleasure of fishing the beaches, it's hit and miss for many species and depends on wind/tide/weather conditions.
It's pretty productive at the Gulf State Park Pier (not for flyrod, though). Google it for the Facebook page or read: Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I'll be there in just about 2 months. When I get back I'll have a full report. I will be down on Fort morgan. I plan on fishing the beaches for reds, mackerel and hopefully a shark or two. I then plan ti explore the bay on the back side and wade thru all the rivers back there for more stuff, like reds, trout and maybe even the odd baby tarpon.

austin.morgan2013

Reaction score
I'm new to fly fishing so I can't help you much there however I have lived in Spanish fort near gulf shores all my life. Routine fishing spots are the gulf shores pier, the getties by the orange beach pass, gulf state park where the water meets the gulf is good for red fish certain times, underneath the pass (big bridge in orange beach).. Also over towards fort morgan as well but that can be a drive. If u head north into mobile bay fairhope pier along with many other small public piers, mayday pier in daphne. Expect to catch redfish and speckled trout but bring more than a fly rod bc a lot of places named aren't conducive for fly fishing. Like off of the big piers. These will be your main target areas. Sheepshead tend to hangout around the getties if you walk all the way out on them and it's best to use shrimp for them. I know this might be info overload but just want to help you out! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjsac09

Reaction score
Does anyone have any fly suggestions for me to get a head start when I go down there. What type of line should I put on (special for saltwater?)? Leader? I am looking at using my Sage 10' 8wt down there.

chechem

Reaction score
Does anyone have any fly suggestions for me to get a head start when I go down there. What type of line should I put on (special for saltwater?)? Leader? I am looking at using my Sage 10' 8wt down there.
The Sage 10' 8wt is perfect. I'd use a tapered bonefish leader (~10', 10-lb).
BTW, you might not be able to find flyfishing gear once there, so pack what you'll need.

I'd take a variety of flies, and certainly white Clousers. But I'm guessing here. Let the ones with local experience speak up, or contact local shops.

rjsac09

Reaction score
The Sage 10' 8wt is perfect. I'd use a tapered bonefish leader (~10', 10-lb).
BTW, you might not be able to find flyfishing gear once there, so pack what you'll need.

I'd take a variety of flies, and certainly white Clousers. But I'm guessing here. Let the ones with local experience speak up, or contact local shops.
Thanks for the tips! Any idea on what size clousers I should tie? Are saltwater hooks different than a normal Mustad hook?

Will I be mostly surf casting and stripping back or could I do some sight fishing too? Would really like to get after some tailing Red's, but don't know if I would be in the right area for that...

chechem

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! Any idea on what size clousers I should tie? Are saltwater hooks different than a normal Mustad hook?

Will I be mostly surf casting and stripping back or could I do some sight fishing too? Would really like to get after some tailing Red's, but don't know if I would be in the right area for that...
You won't see tailing reds on the Gulf side. Most of that action is in salt-marsh creeks. Mostly you'll watch for action or blind cast. If you study the beach, you'll find where the rips are (slightly deeper channels where water flows seaward). Fish gather there.

Size? You'll have to try to match the baitfish. Likely size 4 or 6.

flysmallie

Reaction score
I had a lot of fun last summer catching ladyfish in the surf. Used a size 6 clouser on an 8wt. Caught a few on chartreuse/white and after I lost all of those I switched to a tan/white and they went nuts over it.

I only fished early. 5am to 7 or so. Covered an area right in front of the condo, maybe 300 yards. Just watch for the schools to move through and it's pretty easy. Make sure you have a good leader. Those ladyfish will cut it up.

I will be out around Ft. Morgan the same week and plan on being out there every morning.

rjsac09

Reaction score
I had a lot of fun last summer catching ladyfish in the surf. Used a size 6 clouser on an 8wt. Caught a few on chartreuse/white and after I lost all of those I switched to a tan/white and they went nuts over it.

I only fished early. 5am to 7 or so. Covered an area right in front of the condo, maybe 300 yards. Just watch for the schools to move through and it's pretty easy. Make sure you have a good leader. Those ladyfish will cut it up.

I will be out around Ft. Morgan the same week and plan on being out there every morning.
Great stuff my man! What size weight are you using for the eyes? I am unfamiliar with much saltwater fishing, but can you eat ladyfish?

chechem

Reaction score
Great stuff my man! What size weight are you using for the eyes? I am unfamiliar with much saltwater fishing, but can you eat ladyfish?
I'll let him answer the weight question. I've never bothered to add weight to flies in the surf. Fish find the fly.

Ladyfish are like miniature tarpon. They leap constantly, have fast runs, rip apart their mouths, and are mucho fun. Eat? Naw.

flysmallie

Reaction score
I'll have to check the size out tonight, but they are not very big.

I've always heard they were not good to eat and really bloody. But I'm not expecting a meal, just trying to have a little fun. Ladyfish are perfect for that. Their leaping abilities are sometimes amazing. They look small but they have plenty of speed and stamina. Thinking this year I should change up my techniques and look for something better, but if the Ladyfish are there it will be really hard to ignore them.

Here's one my middle daughter landed. She really wanted to catch one but waited till the last morning to actually get out of bed. Of course the wind was howling, the surf was rough. So I took over casting and actually sticking the fish. But after that I just handed her the rod, wished her good luck and walked away. It was awesome hearing her screams while that fish put on a flight show.

rjsac09

Reaction score
flysmallie thanks for all of the info. If I can hook a few of those I will be happy as can be! I was more so curious about their table fare. Not planning on doing any cleaning while down there.

Thanks again!

flysmallie

Reaction score
flysmallie thanks for all of the info. If I can hook a few of those I will be happy as can be! I was more so curious about their table fare. Not planning on doing any cleaning while down there.

Thanks again!

No problem. If you can't hook one give me a holler and I'll come slap you around. It's really easy as long as you are where they are. You should be able to spot them chasing baitfish and the birds chasing them around. Get a fly out in front of them and they will take care of the rest.

These fish are fun but they are hard on flies and leaders. And mono isn't going to cut it. Be ready for anything. While I was only able to catch ladyfish I hooked three other fish that I'm pretty sure were something else. I saw my backing on those three. Twice in about 15 minutes the first morning.

Looked at the eyes and they are just listed as small by Wapsi. But I don't think it matters. Just get something in front of them and they will take it.

Good luck!

chechem

Reaction score

These fish are fun but they are hard on flies and leaders. And mono isn't going to cut it. Be ready for anything. While I was only able to catch ladyfish I hooked three other fish that I'm pretty sure were something else. I saw my backing on those three. Twice in about 15 minutes the first morning.

Looked at the eyes and they are just listed as small by Wapsi. But I don't think it matters. Just get something in front of them and they will take it.

Good luck!
Spanish Mackerel often school with Ladyfish, and they'll really test you. They'll cut the leader unless you use steel. I've caught them on fine steel leader (~30# test), which you can buy locally. Just cheap leader works, like this:

rjsac09

Reaction score
Since I am pretty green...how do you attach a steel leader to your fly line & fly? I will probably do some YouTube searching, but just curious. I have a steel leader made by Rio I think that I use for pike in our area. I will have to grab some of that stuff above. Thanks again guys for the help!

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Also is there any possibility to get after some redfish back in the Bayou St John or Terry Cove? I was thinking if I could rent a paddle board for the week (or make one if I have time) I could do some exploring back there. It looks like we will be staying close to where that water comes into the ocean...

chechem

Reaction score
Since I am pretty green...how do you attach a steel leader to your fly line & fly? I will probably do some YouTube searching, but just curious. I have a steel leader made by Rio I think that I use for pike in our area. I will have to grab some of that stuff above. Thanks again guys for the help!

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Also is there any possibility to get after some redfish back in the Bayou St John or Terry Cove? I was thinking if I could rent a paddle board for the week (or make one if I have time) I could do some exploring back there. It looks like we will be staying close to where that water comes into the ocean...
The leader comes as just a length of wire. Loop it over on itself and twist to hold the loop. You may have to google that. I'd add a very small swivel, because those ladyfish spin a lot, as do many flies in the surf.

biggie_robs

Reaction score
My Dad's cousin (by marriage) fileted some nice sized Ladyfish one time, not knowing any better, and complained afterwards that it "just fell apart" on him before he even had a chance to cook it. The meat's pretty much useless for anything but a soup base, if that--I really don't know about the flavor but I assume it's nothing to write home about. They're a fun fish to catch in the surf though.

If you're lucky some bluefish will be moving through the area while you're there. If your casts can reach them, they'll hit almost anything, but white or chartreuse Clousers will work well. You'll need to account for their teeth with a bite guard leader, fly tied short on a long shank hook, etc...

Last edited:

chechem

Reaction score
The leader comes as just a length of wire. Loop it over on itself and twist to hold the loop. You may have to google that. I'd add a very small swivel, because those ladyfish spin a lot, as do many flies in the surf.
Here is a video showing one way to tie thin steel leader. I simple loop through the fly's eye, then loop the wire around its own shaft ~6-8 times. MALIN wire works that way too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVUi-RuNvrU]How to Tie your own Steel Wire Fishing Leader - YouTube[/ame]

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I leave for Gulf Shores Saturday. My buddy was in Fort Walton last week, and a guy on the beach was catching bunches of pompano with sand fleas. So I tied a bunch of thigns that should be sand flea like and plan to use them for the pomps. I also plan to stalk some backwater lagoon/bay areas and see what I can find up there.