The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 AM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road
Default Gulf Shores

Planning a trip to be down in Gulf Shores at the end of June with the family. Was wondering what kind of fishing I might be able to get into. We will be staying right on the beach and was curious if there would be any surf fishing opportunity there. I have heard people head to Orange beach inlets to do some fishing too. What kind of fish should I target? Any fly patterns I should get tied? I have a Sage 8100 that I would likely be taking down...is that going to be big enough? Are there any guides down there that target reds in the shallows?

Thanks
Ryan
Old 02-23-2014, 06:46 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Gulf Shores

I grew up near there, but haven't fished those beaches in 40 years.
Indeed, for best catching you should head to Orange Beach for the inlets or a guide. Ask for help at the tackle shops.
Another productive area is near Fort Morgan, which is the mouth of Mobile Bay. You'll enjoy the old fort between tide changes.
For pleasure of fishing the beaches, it's hit and miss for many species and depends on wind/tide/weather conditions.
It's pretty productive at the Gulf State Park Pier (not for flyrod, though). Google it for the Facebook page or read: Gulf Shores Pier Fishing Forum
Old 02-23-2014, 06:17 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I'll be there in just about 2 months. When I get back I'll have a full report. I will be down on Fort morgan. I plan on fishing the beaches for reds, mackerel and hopefully a shark or two. I then plan ti explore the bay on the back side and wade thru all the rivers back there for more stuff, like reds, trout and maybe even the odd baby tarpon.
mridenour likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-23-2014, 11:08 PM

austin.morgan2013 is on a distinguished road

I'm new to fly fishing so I can't help you much there however I have lived in Spanish fort near gulf shores all my life. Routine fishing spots are the gulf shores pier, the getties by the orange beach pass, gulf state park where the water meets the gulf is good for red fish certain times, underneath the pass (big bridge in orange beach).. Also over towards fort morgan as well but that can be a drive. If u head north into mobile bay fairhope pier along with many other small public piers, mayday pier in daphne. Expect to catch redfish and speckled trout but bring more than a fly rod bc a lot of places named aren't conducive for fly fishing. Like off of the big piers. These will be your main target areas. Sheepshead tend to hangout around the getties if you walk all the way out on them and it's best to use shrimp for them. I know this might be info overload but just want to help you out! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2014, 12:11 PM

Does anyone have any fly suggestions for me to get a head start when I go down there. What type of line should I put on (special for saltwater?)? Leader? I am looking at using my Sage 10' 8wt down there.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsac09 View Post
Does anyone have any fly suggestions for me to get a head start when I go down there. What type of line should I put on (special for saltwater?)? Leader? I am looking at using my Sage 10' 8wt down there.
The Sage 10' 8wt is perfect. I'd use a tapered bonefish leader (~10', 10-lb).
BTW, you might not be able to find flyfishing gear once there, so pack what you'll need.

I'd take a variety of flies, and certainly white Clousers. But I'm guessing here. Let the ones with local experience speak up, or contact local shops.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
The Sage 10' 8wt is perfect. I'd use a tapered bonefish leader (~10', 10-lb).
BTW, you might not be able to find flyfishing gear once there, so pack what you'll need.

I'd take a variety of flies, and certainly white Clousers. But I'm guessing here. Let the ones with local experience speak up, or contact local shops.
Thanks for the tips! Any idea on what size clousers I should tie? Are saltwater hooks different than a normal Mustad hook?

Will I be mostly surf casting and stripping back or could I do some sight fishing too? Would really like to get after some tailing Red's, but don't know if I would be in the right area for that...
Old 03-05-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsac09 View Post
Thanks for the tips! Any idea on what size clousers I should tie? Are saltwater hooks different than a normal Mustad hook?

Will I be mostly surf casting and stripping back or could I do some sight fishing too? Would really like to get after some tailing Red's, but don't know if I would be in the right area for that...
You won't see tailing reds on the Gulf side. Most of that action is in salt-marsh creeks. Mostly you'll watch for action or blind cast. If you study the beach, you'll find where the rips are (slightly deeper channels where water flows seaward). Fish gather there.

Size? You'll have to try to match the baitfish. Likely size 4 or 6.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:22 PM

flysmallie is on a distinguished road

I had a lot of fun last summer catching ladyfish in the surf. Used a size 6 clouser on an 8wt. Caught a few on chartreuse/white and after I lost all of those I switched to a tan/white and they went nuts over it.

I only fished early. 5am to 7 or so. Covered an area right in front of the condo, maybe 300 yards. Just watch for the schools to move through and it's pretty easy. Make sure you have a good leader. Those ladyfish will cut it up.

I will be out around Ft. Morgan the same week and plan on being out there every morning.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysmallie View Post
I had a lot of fun last summer catching ladyfish in the surf. Used a size 6 clouser on an 8wt. Caught a few on chartreuse/white and after I lost all of those I switched to a tan/white and they went nuts over it.

I only fished early. 5am to 7 or so. Covered an area right in front of the condo, maybe 300 yards. Just watch for the schools to move through and it's pretty easy. Make sure you have a good leader. Those ladyfish will cut it up.

I will be out around Ft. Morgan the same week and plan on being out there every morning.
Great stuff my man! What size weight are you using for the eyes? I am unfamiliar with much saltwater fishing, but can you eat ladyfish?