The North American Fly Fishing Forum


Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By lexfly
  • 1 Post By hokiehunter07
  • 1 Post By mysticm
  • 1 Post By yonder
  • 1 Post By lil_ol_angler_me

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16
stuck_in_indy is on a distinguished road
Default Heading to Smokies - Places to fish with kids

Hello, I will be staying in Sevierville, TN for a week from March 30-April 4th and want to take my 2 daughters (ages 6 and 9) fly fishing for the first time. I plan on going to a fly shop to get some intel and local patterns, but in my experience, sometimes the best information can be from all of you. Any help on streams that have some room to cast and there is a trail along them? Thanks for your help -- I really want their first experience to be a good one. This is a big opportunity for me! Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 131
hokiehunter07 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Heading to Smokies - Places to fish with kids

It's almost cheating, but they stock the town of Gatlinburg every Thursday I believe. Fishing is closed on the stocking day, but Friday there are tons of trout everywhere.

It's a $10 fee per person although I don't know if that applies to kids as well. Additionally there's a park called Mynatt Park that is specifically a kids fishing area. The Gatlinburg Fee will allow you to fish there as well.

smoky mountain angler in Gatlinburg can set you up with everything you need.

There are other places that are open and easily accessible but are fished pretty hard. If you do enough searching there are several websites with plenty of information.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2014, 01:55 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
lexfly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Heading to Smokies - Places to fish with kids

Check out Little River Outfitters in Townsend too. It is east of seiverville, but they are extremely helpful.
yonder and waterfordcreek like this.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 131
hokiehunter07 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Heading to Smokies - Places to fish with kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexfly View Post
Check out Little River Outfitters in Townsend too. It is east of seiverville, but they are extremely helpful.
Be careful at LRO... That's such a nice shop with helpful folks you could easily walk out with $3000 worth of new equipment before you knew what happened.

Definitely worth the trip if you head out that way... So good but heavily pressured water out there as well that would fit your requirements.
waterfordcreek likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 391
mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Heading to Smokies - Places to fish with kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck_in_indy View Post
Hello, I will be staying in Sevierville, TN for a week from March 30-April 4th and want to take my 2 daughters (ages 6 and 9) fly fishing for the first time. I plan on going to a fly shop to get some intel and local patterns, but in my experience, sometimes the best information can be from all of you. Any help on streams that have some room to cast and there is a trail along them? Thanks for your help -- I really want their first experience to be a good one. This is a big opportunity for me! Cheers!
If you are based in Sevierville, I second the suggestion to fish the delayed harvest waters between Pigeon forge and Gatlinburg. Your kids will have a great time. If you tie flies, plan on using some bright nymphs (e.g. rainbow warriors, frenchies, egg patterns, San Juan worms). Google is your friend for tying videos If you don't tie then stop by the FF shop in Gatlinburg for advice on the hot pattern of the day.
LRO is a great fly shop but it is on other end of the park from you and with traffic the drive can be excruciating (lots of drive through tourists whose idea of being one with nature is opening both doors of their minivans while zipping along at 10 mph)
waterfordcreek likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2014, 09:18 PM
waterfordcreek's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gatlinburg TN/Tampa Fl
Posts: 453
waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Heading to Smokies - Places to fish with kids

Nice....I live in the area!!

LRO is by far the best shop I have ever been in.

You also have Orvis in Sevierville and Smokey Mountain Angler in Gburg off 321.

The West Prong of the Little Pigeon River from Sevierville through PF is also great for Smallies about half way up the Spur. A good spot in PF for stockers is behind the Old Mill Eatery. Nice little park with plenty of parking.

As far as fishing Gburg. Other than the childrens only area...which i would recommend.....I would pass on the rest. It is not easy access...rough to fish...and has the largest concentration of timber rattlers I have even seen. If you HAVE to...concentrate in front of No Way Jose's, across from the Hilton....and the big hole just before the Peddler. SJ worms and egg patterns work well.....just getem deep!

Room to cast..........not a whole lot. Most of the time it will be a roll cast or a water load. The most room would be at the old mill.

Personally, head to the GSMNP. Elkmont campground and park at the Little river trailhead. Access to bathrooms for the girls....a great trail that runs along Little River. Plenty of history lessons in the area......

GOOD LUCK......and remember to post pic's....

Jim

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
If you are based in Sevierville, I second the suggestion to fish the delayed harvest waters between Pigeon forge and Gatlinburg. Your kids will have a great time. If you tie flies, plan on using some bright nymphs (e.g. rainbow warriors, frenchies, egg patterns, San Juan worms). Google is your friend for tying videos If you don't tie then stop by the FF shop in Gatlinburg for advice on the hot pattern of the day.
LRO is a great fly shop but it is on other end of the park from you and with traffic the drive can be excruciating (lots of drive through tourists whose idea of being one with nature is opening both doors of their minivans while zipping along at 10 mph)

The area between PF and Gatlinburg is called the Spur. Some smallies, the only trout you will find is those making it downstream from the stocking area in Gburg. It is usually an area I fish in the Dead of winter for the hold over stockers.

Smokey Mountain Angler is also full of some good people. Good guides....and they always know what pet fly is working for the stockers.

Great advise by all!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehunter07 View Post
Be careful at LRO... That's such a nice shop with helpful folks you could easily walk out with $3000 worth of new equipment before you knew what happened.

Definitely worth the trip if you head out that way... So good but heavily pressured water out there as well that would fit your requirements.

Huh....Now that I think about it.....You could base out of LRO....and fish the stocked waters of Townsend.....Pretty much from the GSMNP Boundary through Towsend. Soooooo many decisions....
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2014, 05:11 PM
yonder's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Caldwell County, N.C.
Posts: 932
yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Heading to Smokies - Places to fish with kids

I will second, third, er......fourth or so......the fine folks at Little River Outfitters.........Byron, Paula and Daniel and the crew are top notch....!!
waterfordcreek likes this.
__________________
yonder

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2014, 02:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 179
lil_ol_angler_me is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Heading to Smokies - Places to fish with kids

Get a copy of ian rutters book.
East tenn trout fishing

exceptionally helpful

it was my bible when i did a month long trip where you are going
waterfordcreek likes this.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What size tippet and leader should I use to trout fish in the Smokies? oddball7465 Southern U.S. 11 12-14-2012 02:04 PM
Kids Buck Wear Some kids play Video Games Real kids go Fishing! Shirt Ebay USA Fishing Shirts and Clothing 0 11-29-2012 11:20 AM
Do you Fly Fish with your Kids / Grand-kids CutThroat Leaders General Discussion 13 06-15-2012 09:27 AM
Fly Fish the Smokies Fish Bones Southern U.S. 8 06-22-2011 09:42 AM
Heading to Jackson, WY where to fish? Neptune General Discussion 3 08-10-2007 08:02 PM













All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.