The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Southern U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/southern-u-s/)
-   -   Sipsey Fork - Alabama (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/southern-u-s/4151-sipsey-fork-alabama.html)

HTiger 05-05-2008 03:39 PM

Sipsey Fork - Alabama

Anyone care to discuss the Sipsey?

What hatches can be expected? When? What works? I've had lots of advice; but, no luck catching trout there (yet)!

It's a fine place, however, with a very helpful local fly shop and active TU chapter.

Any thoughts or advice or insights would be welcome.

Link to the Outdoor Alabama website about the Sipsey Fork

You Tube of Sipsey Fork

http://www.outdooralabama.com/educat...MCJackson3.JPG

http://www.outdooralabama.com/fishin...2004071460.JPG

Piscator 05-06-2008 12:10 AM

Re: Sipsey Fork - Alabama

HTiger,
Sorry, I had to edit your post to keep the Home page from going out of wack. I just provided the link to your You Tube video. Hope that is OK.
Thanks,
Terry

dstenberg 09-08-2008 02:07 PM

Thanks for the website on the Sipsey! I have been backpacking there, but it was before I was thinking of fly fishing. Very beautiful scenery and now I may have to make a trip with my fly rod instead of just backpack.

PancakeFace22 03-10-2009 11:14 PM

I actually went there today and caught my first trout on a fly rod (well, my first six :D). The generators were not scheduled to run today, so I decided that it would be a pretty good day to try it out.

I had stopped by to look around and talk to the guys at the fly shop last week, so I had a basic idea of what I wanted to do when I brought a rod with me. I decided to try out my new 2wt since I was going to use stuff like size 20 or smaller nymphs, and I had been told that they put up a pretty good fight on a rod that light.

Well I managed to catch one after about 30 minutes with the nymph tandem rig that I had learned about at the shop, and then I noticed that there were fish rising in the pool just downstream from where I was fishing. Well there was a hatch of some kind going on (I haven't learned the hatches yet; these were very small and a very light tan color. I couldn't catch one to look at it up close.) so I tied on a dry fly. I had forgotten my fly floatant, so I tied on the only thing I had that would float easily without it: a size 16(I think) elk hair caddis. It didn't match the hatch very well, but it definitely worked well enough for me! I had one rainbow launch itself completely out of the water when it took my fly! I only fished for a couple of hours and missed or lost more fish than I landed, but I had a great time. I'll definitely be back to fish it again as soon as possible.

Oh and the pool I was fishing is pretty easy to get to. I walked up the gravel road towards the dam and made my way down to the water at the place where the guys are standing at about 0:37 seconds into the youtube video linked in the first post. From there I walked upstream to the first part you come to that starts to narrow and get deeper. The deep run on that goes along the opposite side of the stream seems to hold a pretty high concentration of fish when the water is down like it was today.

Sorry this became more of a fishing report than a discussion of how to catch fish there :rolleyes:. I'm just still holding residual excitement from the fishing today lol. Has anyone else had really good luck with fishing the Sipsey Fork?

Oh and PS: I caught one fish with deep bite marks on its sides from what I assume was a hybrid striper considering the fact that the Alabama state record hybrid came from the same stretch of water. Does anyone know anything about how to catch these fish in a stream like this one?

HTiger 03-27-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PancakeFace22 (Post 52204)
I actually went there today and caught my first trout on a fly rod (well, my first six :D). ...snip...

That's great, Pancake! Congratulations!

Sounds like a great day.

I've been walking to the local neighborhood ponds and casting for bream; looking foward to heading up to the Sipsey and giving it a go again.

Maybe see you there one day...

dryflywaters 04-20-2009 09:14 PM

The scenery at this spot looks amazing. I am from Michigan - but would love to ish this spot.

Joseph Cichon 04-22-2009 01:25 AM

Jon Waske, I recognize you from the Huron River forums and (if I'm not mistaken?) the steelhead pattern class by Bear Andrews?

Good to see you around here, sir. I've moved to Alabama in the last 2 months and the Sipsey is part of my new back yard. As soon as they stop running the dam nonstop I'm heading back out there.

dryflywaters 04-23-2009 02:06 PM

I am the same guy from the Huron discussion board. I haven't gotten out to the Huron yet this year. I wanted to hit the early trout they offer - but work went crazy the last few weeks and then it has rained for days straight. The rivers are blown out.

I was not in the steelhead class.

Why did you move? How is the fishing where you are at?

Scott Spencer 04-27-2009 09:22 PM

Hey fellas....new here and hope to fish the Sipsey before too long. My wife and I are wanting to get into fly fishing and being just an hour from the Sipsey, it seems like a great place to start.

Thanks for the video! It was great!

Joseph Cichon 04-27-2009 10:07 PM

Scott, what part of Alabama are you from? If you want someone to go fishing with just send me an email. gilcongain@gmail.com