The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southern U.S.

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 AM

MacFly55 will become famous soon enoughMacFly55 will become famous soon enough
Default Vacation in TN

My wife, grandson, and I will be vacationing in TN from the end of June to the middle of July.

We will be staying in the Manchester area with family.

I will be taking my grandson fishing while we are there and would appreciate any information that anyone could provide about what flies to use, best spots in the area I will be staying at etc.

I know that Tims Ford Lake and Normandy lake are in the area. I will also be trying to fish the Elk River (I think that is the one) that runs near Estill Springs.

Again, any suggestions as to what flies to use and where would be deeply appreciated.

MacFly
Old 05-20-2008, 08:24 PM

TnTom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vacation in TN

Wish I could be the guy to help you with this one. I know both the Elk and Tims Ford are great Smallmouth and Normandy is well known for Bass & Crappie. All are within a 45 minute drive from home and I have never been on them. Another that flows through the area is the Duck and is a super Smallie river. I never wet a fly until last weekend (except about 30 years ago and that doesnt count). The folks I have talked with on occasion about Tims say its best at night .
Sorry but I havent fished those waters at all.No real reason other than I usually fish the Caney Fork or Stones River which is the Center Hill (Smithville Tn. area and its not all that far from where your targeting)
I would suggest concentrating below the Normandy dam and Tims Ford TVA: Reservoir Information)
Be sure to check the link for release schedules. THE ALARMS ARE NOT DEPENDABLE AND WHEN THEY RELEASE YOU BEST RECOGNIZE ITS HAPPENING AND GET OUT OF THE WATER.
Also buy a copy of the Tennessee Atlas & Gazetteer at Barnes and Noble when you get the chance as it will show you the accesses and landings etc. I use it to pick my steams and ways to get on them.
If you go below the dams on a weekend there will be plenty of people in the water and will put you on the right fly. A lot of the Rainbows here are caught with the artificial salmon eggs pink and chartruse.
I mentioned that I just caught my first fish on a fly rod this last weekend and boy what a thrill but I fish mostly for Smallie and had always used a spinning rod. Well that is changing.
Also when you get a hotel picked out Im sure they can point you to some good tackle shops in the area. If you get a chance the BPS in Nashville on Briley Parkway has a great fly shop (really worth seeing and leave your check book at home
Google Manchester use the satellite and zoom the dam (Duck),TimsFord (Elk) and Hurricane Creek above Tims is suppose to give up some good Smallie.
My fly fly of choice is a little brown one with a yellow thing underneath Im at the same part of the learning curve with a flyrod as you are. If your spinning I say black rubber worms they NEVER fail.
If you go below the Dams you'll have plenty of company on the weekends.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:07 AM

thank you for the information... Ill do some mpre checking on the area with google maps etc.. and Ill check that link that you posted...

Ill be staying with family.. but they are not fly fishermen.. the first time I fished there on the elk we were using 1" chartreuse ribbed tubers.. I cast out and let it drift.. on the third or fourth cast I had a large crappie literally jump out of the water to get that bait.. regretfully I was not ecpecting it and yanked hard.. and took the bait away from it.. try as I may did not get another big strike like that one.. so I figure Ill be getting some chartreuse wooly buggers and trying those..

Ill see what I can find out about that fly you sue..

thanks again for the response..

MacFly
Old 05-21-2008, 01:46 AM

willfish4fuud is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to willfish4fuud

Fly South in Nashville. Great shop, nice guys, knowledgeable guides. Jim is the owner but anyone who answers the phone is typically very versed in the waters you mentioned. 615-251-6199
Old 05-21-2008, 11:08 AM

thank you for the info and number.. I am sure I will be using it..

MacFly
Old 05-21-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTom View Post
........My fly fly of choice is a little brown one with a yellow thing underneath Im at the same part of the learning curve with a flyrod as you are. If your spinning I say black rubber worms they NEVER fail.
If you go below the Dams you'll have plenty of company on the weekends.
if you get a chance could you take a picture of that fly and post it.. I am curious which one it is... I did some on line checking but with the variety of flies available.. well you get the idea.. :-)

MacFly
Old 06-18-2008, 08:42 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Both Jim and the guys at Fly South and "Grumpy" at Cumberland Transit (615 321 4069) are great resources on the Caney which is a very good trout stream when the TVA is in the mood to run fishable water.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:06 PM

chipsro is on a distinguished road

MacFly,

Hope this gets to you before your trip!

Just joined the forum today and saw your post. The Duck River at Normandy will be the closest to you. The Elk River at Timms Ford Lake will be a bit further, but the better fishing. Check the water release schedule at TVA on the web and they have a phone system to use (I can't recall the number)

Try this website Tim's Flies and Lies Outfitters
Tim's Flies and Lies is in Lynchburg Tn right down the road from you on Hwy 50. Great people to know. Tim and Rhonda will help you. Their shop will be between the Duck and the Elk.

Soft hackle flies in 14 and 12 fished on the swing should bring a lot of action in both rivers but especially the Elk.

Good Luck
Chips