The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 05:49 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough
Default standard "spey" lines and loading points

I'm picking up fishing with a spey rod this year and have wondered about this for a while. When casting a spey line with lets say a 50 foot head, when casting do you have to get the whole head out of the rod to make a functional cast? I realize they put the loading marks on some of the lines but is that sort of a suggestion for optimum distance or a necesity for making a proper cast. With the type of fishing I will be doing i will be casting long distances but i would like to strip closer than 50 feet after each cast.

Brian
Old 02-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: standard "spey" lines and loading points

Brian,

I don't really speak Spey but I do use a Scientific Angler Short Head line and I think the head is 50'. You can cast well with only 40' of line out the tip top and since I always have a 15' wet tip and 5' of leader this still is a 60' cast. I use a 13' rod and casts of this range are pretty effortless. If you are going to be casting in the 70' + range a lot I would try to steer you toward a 15' rod. The 15' will throw an 80' cast with the same ease that I make a 60 with my short rod. I can cast a lot farther than 60 feet with my rig but it is not what I would call a relaxing way to fish when you are going for ultra long casts. So, think long when you select a rod.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-27-2011, 07:10 PM

Ard,

I will be using a 15' 10-11wt. Ever since I saw dan using a Spey for fishing big warm water here in mn I just had to get one. I'm trying to get an idea of how close I can fish that rod as I won't always need those big 100'ers but, it might make easy work of tossing around those big flies in shorter distances also. By close I mean 60ish feet.

Brian
Old 02-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Dan can fill you in better than I on this I believe. Did you get the rod from him? I know he had a big stick for sale recently.

Ard

Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 PM

Ard,

Yes, I did purchase the rod from dan. He has been very helpful in this new adventure. I just thought I would see if any other Spey casters had any input, I tend to ask a ton of questions when I'm learning something new and I do not want to become an annoying mosquito in dans ear so to speak.

Brian
Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Administrator

I don't think he will mind at all, he will be glad to help I'm sure. You guys need to get on the telephone so you can get things sorted quickly, springs coming.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, I don't mind.

I almost always put the marker right at the end of the rod. I do however, when fishing one spot I like, do a little perry poke to my left and then a cackhanded snake roll into this spot in a pool at the bottom of these rapids. I put the maker about 5 feet into the rod when I cast there. It seems to cast OK. I pull it in because my target is to close and there are a couple of really bad snags if I let the line shoot all the way up there. So you can put a little less line out of the rod, but I'm sure there is a point not to far from the marker where it starts to get hard to load the rod. I'm pretty sure that you will blow a lot more anchors, and hit things behind you.
Looking at your question, I have a video, and I strip line all the way in, then shake the head out, perry poke and single spey cast. I'll PM you a link so you can see what I mean.
just in case,
Cackhanded: off the wrong shoulder. i.e. Right hand on top, make the cast off your left shoulder.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie314 View Post
When casting a spey line with lets say a 50 foot head, when casting do you have to get the whole head out of the rod to make a functional cast?
You certainly dont, much depends actually on the rod you are using and how much space you have to make the D loop. Bring as much head in through the rod rings as is comfortable for you.

The opposite is most certainly true though if you want to have the whole head outside the rod tip - make sure it is close!

Regards

Colin
Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb View Post
You certainly dont, much depends actually on the rod you are using and how much space you have to make the D loop. Bring as much head in through the rod rings as is comfortable for you.

The opposite is most certainly true though if you want to have the whole head outside the rod tip - make sure it is close!

Regards

Colin

Regards

Colin
I'm with Colin here. Have enough 2-handers that (being poked by colleges as they look at the garage wall) "You should open a shop." I've found that different strokes for different folks really is true.

Personal observation(s) here only: Rod length/action will really dictate where the end of the head will be with a given (type) of line. Chuck in 'casting style' and the game gets more 'interesting.'

The odd part is there doesn't seem to be any real consistency (for me) on what will work best from one general type of line to another. Maybe that's why there are so damned many to choose from?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:35 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

If you want to retrieve closer than 50 feet, I'd get a Skagit or Scandi line.

Randy