The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grain window chart.

Last winter I was looking around the internet and found a chart listing the grain window for a bunch of spey rods. I can't find the darned thing anymore. Do any of you know how to find it? Next best thing would be what's the grain window on a 15' 10/11 wt. Albright GP? I had to buy one, it was to dang cheap.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grain window chart.

Dan: MP seems to know a lot about the grain wts rods can handle, if he doesn't respond you might send him a PM.

Larry
Old 02-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Dan,
Here is the only thing I've found, it was on RIO's site. I don't see Albright listed. Sorry. http://www.rioproducts.com/photos/fi...ine%20recs.pdf

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That may have been the chart I was talking about. Thanks for looking.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Anytime.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-04-2010, 11:57 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I use the Rio chart. But the 10/11 Albright wasn't on the list. If I was going to make a guess based off of the 9/10 that I tried out, I would guess low 600s for Scandi up to high 700s for Skagit and everything in between for various belly lines.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 02-05-2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Decided to make a guess.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Banned

I found the head weight for the Carron Jetstream long belly lines. The 10/11 is 75' at 861 grains. The 9/10 has a 65' head at 747 grains. I was hoping to use the 75' head, but it sounds like the rod may be better paired with the 65" head. That's only a 9' gain over a Delta Spey. I really liked the idea of putting a fly 100' away without shooting line. And I plan to shoot line.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Dan,
I was basing everything off of Rio lines. They don't make anything larger than 750 grains. If you call Albright's customer service, check if a guy named Burke White still works there. He might be able to get you some insight. That rod might be able to handle a line in the 800s.

MP
Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM

diverdown is on a distinguished road

Guys. ..... Quick question... I'm really new to Spey casting and recently bought an 8/9 wt 14ft albright. As I read this thread I realized I have no idea what type of line I should go with... And I was wondering what the "grain" numbers are for?

Thanks for helping with my noob education....

~S

Last edited by diverdown; 02-08-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:38 PM

The grain number is the mass measurement used in fly lines. The higher the grain number, the heavier the line. All fly rods cast well within a certain grain range. Some people like higher numbers, some like lower numbers for a specific rod.

Spey rods have a grain ranges like single handed rods. Someone who likes casting Scandi style will use a lighter line because that person casts off of the tip of the rod. Someone who casts Skagit style casts a heavier line because Skagit casting is basically a lob cast.

MP