The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: How to understand Spey Lines? Help!

I always refer folks to Poppy at the Red Shed on these matters, and the fact that you're halfway near him makes that even more ideal.

I'd you take your rod to his shop, and pick his brain on what will be ideal for where you're fishing. If you can get him to do a casting lesson as well, it would be money well spent.

In the meantime, look through the "rods" and "tackle" sections here Spey Pages - Powered by vBulletin for some good info.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:41 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: How to understand Spey Lines? Help!

If you have limited room behind you when you cast I'd look at a Sandi line or a Skagit. After you cast you'll have to retrieve some line. A skagit line is great for handling sinking lines and sinking or heavy flies. Also, I believe it is the easiest line to learn to cast. Depending on the length of your rod, you might also need a skagit cheater. A Scandi line is quiet on the water, but IMHO, setting up an anchor with a Scandi can be difficult. These lines work best with polyleaders.

If you have more room behind you. and don't want to retrieve too much line, I'd look at a Windcutter, but I'd probably go with a lighter one for your spey rod. (Go to the recommendation chart at products and supplies.)

Also, I believe the head or belly of your line shouldn't be longer than about 4X the length of your rod.

Randy