The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Leader Design For The Two Hand Rods;

Hey Spey guys,

This season I am trying to stay away from those 15' type 6 Hi density tips, what a nightmare to cast............. So I had to invent a deep running leader and this is what's working at this time; 4' of 25 Lb. Maxima looped to, 2 or 3' of braided lead head looped to 4 - 5 foot of 15 pound Maxima. It will turn over a size 2/0 salmon fly with the proper energy in your delivery and will swing that unweighted fly at about 4- 5 feet of depth with proper line control.

If you have a good recipe for a leader for getting unweighted flies down for Kings, sockeye, and the rest please post it up.

Thanks,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 09-25-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leader Design For The Two Hand Rods;

I have been putting what they are calling a sinking leader between my...what I call a leader and my fly line. I stick with the leader formula of 54", 54", 36" and 36". (15' in total) I use ANDE mono pretty much exclusively. I got two sinking leaders I got from Trevor Morgan. They are a 7' fast sink that gets you down an extra 2 - 3 inches a second. The second one is a 5' very fast sinking leader. It gets you down like the Titanic. I got a sinking spey line from Trevor Morgan that gets an unweighted fly down really well. I also wanted something that was not as good at going deep and made my own 2 1/2' T-17 leader. I was using the Trevor Morgan floating spey line and the Trevor Morgan very fast sinking leader and snagged bottom in what had to be 20' of water. The current is faster there than a lot of places in the river, not because it's shallower but because it gets narrow there. It was early in the year and the water was running faster than normal and I still managed to hang it on the bottom.

The thing about using sinking leaders is with a real fast sinker you need to do more of a sustained achor type cast where you keep the line in motion. Double snake rolls work good too because they will cork screw the fly up from fairly deep. Kinda the skagit principle.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Dan,

I stretched my creation into about a 9' leader and it is working good. I would need two more feet of rod to use what you are building but thanks.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

The leaders you have both described are for deep sinkers. If you do not need to fish that deep, or even want to fish a floating tip, what have you experienced in leaders? Is it possible to use a long furled leader (rather than a poly leader) for fishing a floating tip or even an intermediate tip?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all

We at CutThroat Leaders have been designing and testing spey leaders during the past year. We have 10'-0" and 11'-6" furled leaders as well as 10'-0" and 11'-6" reinforced spey leaders. (these leaders are slightly weight forward and have a breaking point above 30 lbs, but still turn over with amazing accuracy and distance).

Most of our testing has been done with 6'-0" - 8'-0" of maxima tippet attached to end of our leader. We initially hear guys/gals say that is too much tippet until they actually cast.

At first, many spey casters want a longer leader, but after testing our leaders, they no longer feel that way. We have found no significant benefits to a longer leader. Our 11'-6" with 8'-0" tippet still produces an overall 19'-6" long leader, more than enough in most conditions. These are for skating fly’s, throwing streamers as well as nymphs.

If you are a seasoned spey caster and would like to try one of our leaders out, all I ask is that you get back to me with your thoughts. We currently have stock of our standard (not-reinforced) 7/8 wt rod 10’-0” furled leader.

If interested, Send me an email to mike@cutthroatleader.com , give me your name and address. I will send leaders out to the first 4 spey casters I hear from.

Thank you,

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Original: http://www.cutthroatleader.com/
New Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. sales@cutthroatleader.com
Old 09-11-2011, 01:42 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
The leaders you have both described are for deep sinkers. If you do not need to fish that deep, or even want to fish a floating tip, what have you experienced in leaders? Is it possible to use a long furled leader (rather than a poly leader) for fishing a floating tip or even an intermediate tip?
In a word: "Yes."

fae
Old 11-05-2011, 05:07 PM

mdraft1 will become famous soon enoughmdraft1 will become famous soon enough

I have been using Guideline's DDC line with tips and the line turns over pretty much anything and the tips really get down deep fast.