The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 01:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How to make The Braided Connector For Your Welded Loop Spey Line;

You will need to contact Beartooth Montana (they're on the web) and get yourself 2, 24" and 2, 36" braided lead head loop to loop sections. These are the fast water ticket, I use 32" on a 9 weight line and don't notice the weight at all. If you are using lines lighter than 500 gr you may have to work a little harder than I do when casting.

What weight is your rod / line?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

8/9, I've been throwing a 550gr Skagit.
Will they send them with loops already attached?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this will save you some pain The owners of the shop are Dan & Nancy, when you call tell them that I sent you. They will know just what you want, we can talk about this tomorrow or this evening if you want.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:49 AM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Ard, What brand of Braided Mono are you using?
Also can you elaborate on the Mono cutting your welded loops?
Thanks Doug
Old 11-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Hi Doug,

The braid I use for the connector is Cortland brand. I have both 30 + 50 pound material, the step by step was done using 30 Lb. braid. What was happening was that with continued use and heavy fish my leader butt (25 Lb. Maxima) was cutting through the loops on the ends of my fly lines.

I had been using braid to make butts for dry fly leaders since about 1990 or thereabouts and so had the material handy. This past spring when I noticed the tip of my new floating line was getting cut by the mono it dawned on me to make a short connector between the line and the leader. I have also had incidents where the nail knots that I had the butts connected to other lines cut through the coating and slide off the line.

If you have lines that are simply cut on the end then I would use the braided connectors sold by Cortland to get the loop. When properly applied with some cement to solidify the bond these are pretty darn good connectors. Only once did one of these come loose and that was on a 9 weight line after repeated landings of king salmon. It took 2 years but the connector finally came loose. I believe that either a welded loop (factory) or a home made loop in conjunction with a 50 Lb. braided connector like I've demoed will offer the most reliable way to connect leaders for big game fishing. All the other connections I've used have failed at one time or other, one of the most frequent complaints regarding any sort of connector is that sooner or later the fly line cracks just at the connection point and hinges and is weakened. Loops end that problem.

Here is a link on making loops;

Making a loop on your Fly Line.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:40 PM

mdraft1 will become famous soon enoughmdraft1 will become famous soon enough

Very nice. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks Ard.
I just sent Beartooth an e-mail to purchase some braided lead head material.
I plan on using this for some deeper creeks here at home. Just some experimenting. Great post defiantly needs a sticky in the how to pages.
Doug
Old 11-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Thanks Doug, I'm happy if this system will work for you as well as it does for me. If you are ordering either by phone or e-mail tell Dan or Nancy you got the tip on the heads from Ard in Alaska. They seem to be really nice people and when I spoke to Nancy a few months back I told her I would be sending business their way.

The heads are a bit stiff when new but will limber up quickly. For slow moving waters a shorter section will work fine and you increase the length of the head to compensate for swifter flows. using the heavy leader butt will allow for the works to turn over for you well. Don't be mistaken, these don't cast like an unweighted leader and some timing adjustments will be in line for casting. I use a single hand Spey cast when the area limits back casting space and make regular over head casts when conditions allow. The good news is that the head does not hinge like weights will and if you were to strike yourself or your rod the head will not damage either of you.

Ard

Old 11-06-2011, 02:26 PM

I did mention you in my e-mail hopefully will get the Ard discount.lol
Old 11-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Administrator

No discount but it is a good thing that businesses understand the power of forums such as this to bring business to their sites and stores. Once we have generated enough business (and there has been quite a bit so far) I will give them a call and try to sign them up as a retail business member here.