The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/spey-fly-lines-other-spey-tackle/)
-   -   Furled leaders even off a 2-hander. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/spey-fly-lines-other-spey-tackle/194401-furled-leaders-even-off-2-hander.html)

fredaevans 10-14-2011 10:12 PM

Furled leaders even off a 2-hander.

Started using these on my trip to Montana (including on a 13' 3wt 2-hander) as majority of the fishing would be with dry flies ..... damned small dry flies.

Had to go to 'wakers' with the spey as the darned fly was so far away the only thing you could see was the 'wake' it was making on the water. With standard (again 3wts) they were a total treat to use.

Thursday's mail brought me several new ones to use on my Summer Run spey's (5 and 6 wts) from the 'Furl Girl' aka utahflygoddess (posts as Joni here) on the Internet. As these were going to be used on 'bigger fish' she actually built them using Kevlar thread!

Amazing things! Six footer on the 5 wt and a 10 foot on the 6 with a couple feet of regular leader (4# Maxima/size 6 flies, weighted and un-weighted) tied off to the tiny 'tippet rings' these things come built with. Some (don't know the how of it) are actually 'sinking leaders' and boy do they sink! The real amazing thing is these leaders DON'T hinge during your cast. Nada-zip-nothing ..... not even the 4 pound leader bit.

Very tight weave on these things so they cast out like a bolt coming off a cross bow. If you haven't tried these, give it a go ... you'll love it. Better yet, they're quite inexpensive.
fae

wt bash 10-15-2011 08:53 PM

Re: Furled leaders even off a 2-hander.

I was wondering how they go, poly leader and tips feel to clunky to me.

fredaevans 10-15-2011 11:36 PM

Indeed WT, indeed.

I've used a couple of 'brands' of furled leaders (single hander/2-hander) and the base problem (my perspective only) was (with each) the weave was far (and I do mean toooo far) to loose.

Used two different 'brands' before I got my first set from "Joni" and they didn't last more than a couple of days of hard fishing (single and spey) before they were fried/frail/what-ever. For small stream fishing this may be totally appropriate for all I know, but for my applications? Nada.

"Furl Girl" the tie is tight as a tic and they lay out ... well hell, call it for what it is ... SWEET. :weight_li Not a sign of ware on any of them.:sweatingb

If casting at a distance, regardless of the rod your using is the plan .. think about it .. $6.00 a pop.

Ya-ya this sounds like I'm getting them for free ... not so I can assure you. A $27.00 cheque off in todays mail. No shxt.

I don't 'recommend' diddly unless I've paid for same "out of pocket." Superior product? Sing its praises or keep your mouth shut? Well .. that's not totally true; hit a clinker?

Never mind.
:D
fae

Side bar to 'Joni' if she reads this stuff: For two handers (6-9 wt rods) 10-12 footers would be way-cool if that's reasonable to do. No Clue on that.
Fred

Guest1 10-16-2011 11:54 PM

I may have to give this a try. PMing Joni.

fredaevans 10-17-2011 12:02 AM

DD, if my personal experience is anything to go by they're "The Bees Knees." Think I mentioned the 'heavier' one's I just got are made (in part or whole) with Kevlar thread. Those buggers may out last me!:eek:

Guest1 10-30-2011 10:53 PM

I got my 'test' leader from Joni about a week ago. 12' long. Most of this time I have been fishing in the dark and trying to get as long a cast as I can. As a result, I can't see a dang thing out where my fly is landing. Today however I took the spey rod down to the river before it got dark. I could actually see where my fly was landing and everything! The furled leader Joni made me is freakin awsome. I'm thinking I need to have a few more made. Have any of you ever put a floatant on one? The one Joni sent me sinks like a brick which is perfect for the flies I was using today, but I was thinking there may be some times I might want a floating leader. Like for bombing little flies out to Mooneye. I fish deep most of the time so I don't want to mess with the one Joni sent me. Need to talk to Joni I think. Did I mention the leader she sent me is freakin awsome?

fredaevans 10-30-2011 11:15 PM

"Have any of you ever put a floatant on one?"

In the process (or will be shortly) doing just that. Tin of Muciln Green (silly-con based) is coming to me now. That should make a full floater behave like a long cork. Or so I think.

And our right, Joni's sinkers REALLY sink.:army:

Fred

Edit: 12' long! Wooozer, I can only imagine how long it took her to put that Puppy together.

Guest1 10-30-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 340156)
And your right, Joni's sinkers REALLY sink.:army:

Fred

Edit: 12' long! Wooozer, I can only imagine how long it took her to put that Puppy together.

I really like how well it sinks. ...... I hope it doesn't take to long to do, 'cause I think I'm going to have to have her do it again. :rolleyes:

fredaevans 10-30-2011 11:48 PM

7'ish foot is as long as I've got, but after a few casts the 'thread' is soaked (and what ever else Joni's done) and it goes down like a sinking poly leader ... but at less than half the cost. Casts a heck of a lot better too.:worthy:
fae