The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Spey Fly Lines and other Spey Tackle

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 11:48 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Rio SLick Shooter Thoughts?

I just got my Rio Scandi versitip in, and I ordered the recomended slickshooter 25, and this stuff is tiny... looks like thick mono line.. just trying to figure out how one handles such line while casting of fighting a fish, or is there a thicker option. Also, it doesnt have a loop end, suggestions on how to attach it to the loop on the shooting head would be great. or if theres a shootign line with built in loops.. sorry for being a noob. jsut want to make sure I put this together correctly. thanks.
Mike
Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rio SLick Shooter Thoughts?

nothing... doesnt bode well for me using slickshooter..
Old 07-06-2012, 09:00 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Don't despair. Someone will come along who has the answers. I have no experience with the lines you're talking about, but suspect a well tied nail knot would work connecting your pieces...I personally don't care for loop/loop connections anywhere my line can hinge while casting. -Mike
Old 07-06-2012, 09:14 PM

I dispise nail knots.. the slick shooter stuff is stiff line, not sure how I could tie it I do have an idea for it using the loop. I understand the hinging line issue, but it would seem that a thicker line would transfer energy, but Im a noob to this spey thing.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:33 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I use an Arflo Ridge as a running line for my heads, it actually feels like fly line and comes with a big huge loop on the end of that makes changing heads easy (You can keep them rolled up and pass the whole thing through the loop).
I know it doesn't help with the slickshooter dilemma but I am personally not a huge fan of the stuff, I like my line to feel like a fly line.
HuronRiverDan likes this.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
I use an Arflo Ridge as a running line for my heads, it actually feels like fly line and comes with a big huge loop on the end of that makes changing heads easy (You can keep them rolled up and pass the whole thing through the loop).
I know it doesn't help with the slickshooter dilemma but I am personally not a huge fan of the stuff, I like my line to feel like a fly line.
thats part of the details rio doesnt have on the site, I have solved this however, I was talking to a friend that has the rio powerflex and found out about the loop end and fly line feel, so I got some on the way. I hope to be casting late next week. WOOHOO, now if the temps would drop..
Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Without a big, built-in loop on the end I'd try to return the line. If you can't, put a loop on using a nail knot. Perhaps you'll get used to the line, but if it's a stiff line I wouldn't use it at all.

Randy
Old 07-07-2012, 09:44 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

You could put a loop on the running line with a non slip loop knot of any sort. Make the loop large enough to slip a spool or the heads through.
I've used it and Slickshooter for shooting heads on my single handers for years and it works. The steelheaders in the Northwest do too from what I've read but how they handle those rockets with that thin stuff is out of my pay grade to know.
As for the hinge effect, you're going from a fat shooting head to a .029" running line. That fat head should pull out any hinge you might see on ordinary gear.
The Slickshooter is a great shooting line. It's kind of flat... I guess for less surface area through the guides and it is slick... VERY slick.
When it's spooled for a while you may need to hook it on a bumper hitch or another smooth object and stretch it to eliminate any coils. If you get another shooting line hang on to that Slickshooter, nothing will go through the guides as freely.
Try it, you'll never cast as far without it. It's fun stuff.
That said, I got an Orvis gift card and am waiting for UPS to deliver a Hydros running line just for snits 'n grins.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:19 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Tried the slick shooter line with my short scandi head and as soon as I got home I ordered a 100' shooting line that was more like fly line.

I just tied a surgeons loop for attaching the slick shooter line to the head.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
Tried the slick shooter line with my short scandi head and as soon as I got home I ordered a 100' shooting line that was more like fly line.

I just tied a surgeons loop for attaching the slick shooter line to the head.
thats what I did, I should see my poweflex line mid week. I may try this stuff on a shooting head for my single hand for grins, but I would rather handle the flyline feel.
Mike